Centerpiece fish for my 29 gallon

Pat

New Reefer
Hey everyone,
My 29 gallon is getting ready for stocking and I'm looking for a centerpiece fish. I am also going to have a pair of clowns. This tank will eventually become SPS. I was just browsing and I like the Lyretail anthias. Can they be solitary? Is my tank big enough if it is not in a group? I saw some people recommending above a 55 gallon but I think that was for a group. I was also looking at a painted fairy wrasse. Does anyone have experience with this fish? I'm entirely open to other suggestions but its hard with a tank this size. Thanks for the advice.

-Pat

Yeah, I think the anthias would be aggressive in a small tank like that. Is the heniochus butterfly in your avatar in this tank?

Fairy wrasses would be a good choice. They certainly are purdy.
They are big time jumpers, though. So make sure the top of the tank is covered.

How about an assessor? They're cool fish.

a pair of clowns and a nice rose anemone for host is a good centerpiece. I think if I decided to break down my tank, I might set up something simple like that.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll probably go with a wrasse. The only problem is going to be the jumping. NateHanson: No the heniochus butterfly is not in my tank. I took that picture at the New England Aquarium. They have some pretty cool fish there.

-Pat

Here are some comments on Blue assessors, not sure how true they are...

---A pretty nice fish. Expect to see him very little though. Will hide in the rockwork to an extreme, barely coming out even for feeding.

---Watch out, while a passive fish, they will take over the territory. Can become aggressive, but never inflicts wounds.

I have no exp with this fish but wanted to check out what info was out there...

what about a dwarf angel? i also have a 29g so to give you an idea, my inhabitants are:

2 true perculas
1 flame angel
1 yellow tang
1 bicolor blenny
1 six line wrasse
1 electric blue damsel

maybe a majestic angel or something would be nice.

29 is too small for a majestic angel. They get biggish.
Scott Michael recommends a minimum 100g tank for the majestic.
I wouldn't put a tang in there either.

Last edited:
i have a 30 reef.

fish=

2 percula clowns
1 bengaii cardinalfish
1 scooter blenny.

i dont think i would do much more than that in a 29. all my fish are pretty small in size too.

Yeah, Majestic is way too big for a 29, even when juvenile.

I've got a small one in my 65, and i think it's a fair size for a young one (they grow slowly, and are more intersted in swimming in and out of the rocks, than sprinting the length of the tank) but for one the size of Greg Hiller's adult majestic (about 5-6 inches). A biggish 4 foot tank would probably be a minimum.

yeah, i'm only planning to keep the tang until it grows too big. but it's been in the tank for half a year and it hasn't appeared to grow at all.

TheUltimateNoob: How's the yellow tang working out for you? I've never really heard about people having success with them in a 29 gallon. I was just looking at fish on marinedepotlive.com and they have some beautiful wrasses. They have the Australian Linneatus Wrasse in stock. It is spectacular looking put its 189 dollars!

-Pat

it's been doing great but it's only in there until i feel like it's too big for the tank. maybe it's not a great idea but i really like the fish so i went for it. some people may disagree with even putting the fish in there in the first place, but everyone has their own opinion.

i was always a fan of the flame angel. many dwarf angels would be fine in a 29. beautiful if you keep it's red up. i've found that only occasional specimens will nibble on inverts. and you can definitely prevent this pesky habit by selecting the right coral.
but definetly the flasher or carpenter wrasses are great for small reefs.

Back