Closed loop Q's

kk4rosie

Non-member
I'm getting a 180 72-24-24 that was a custom built to be viewed from 3 sides so the overflows are on one side. The tank was also drilled w/ 4 holes in the bottom for a closed loop (center of the tank and spaced equally). What should I do for a drain line for these? I'm not sure but it makes sense that I can't use the holes that are there now due to things getting sucked down the holes + I want to have a little sand on the bottom for asthetic purposes and that wouldn't work. I was just thinging of having a drain pipe coming over the back (maybe 2) and then split the return up. Probally 2 seperate systems. What do you think? IZE CONFUSED :confused:

kk4rosie said:
I'm getting a 180 72-24-24 that was a custom built to be viewed from 3 sides so the overflows are on one side. The tank was also drilled w/ 4 holes in the bottom for a closed loop (center of the tank and spaced equally). What should I do for a drain line for these? I'm not sure but it makes sense that I can't use the holes that are there now due to things getting sucked down the holes + I want to have a little sand on the bottom for asthetic purposes and that wouldn't work. I was just thinging of having a drain pipe coming over the back (maybe 2) and then split the return up. Probally 2 seperate systems. What do you think? IZE CONFUSED :confused:

can you take a pic

I don't have the tank yet. But pretty much it has on one side 2 corner overflows-like in the older models. and then in the center of the tank spaced about 1' apart there are 4-bulkheads.

can you have a hole drilled in the side of the tank between the overflows as the drain for the closed loop? Then you can drain there and feed up through the four bottom holes into your rock work.

I don't think it would be an issue drilling the side of the tank. It's an AGA and I don't think the sides are tempered. Are they? I guess I'm a little scared of the tank being drilled from the bottom as well. I don't want to come home to my tank on the basement floor... Am I just being paranoid?

You could either do as Jill said (I'm sure the sides aren't tempered) or use one of the bottom holes as a drain for your closed loop, just extend PVC, lockline, or flex PVC pipe up from those 4 holes on the bottom of the tank for your drain and 3 returns, and hide them in the rockwork. There won't be a problem with sucking sand or whatever.

What pump would you recomend for this? I was thinking about possible splitting it up into 2 systems, or making it one system and having maybe one of the lines as a spray bar in the back. I think it would be easier as one system but I'm not sure. I also have a duel overflow from lifereef that I was thinking about selling. Will I be getting enough flow from the standard overflows for the tank or should I think about using this as well?

When you say you might make it one system, do you mean you might use the 4 drilled holes in the bottom as return outlets for the pump in your sump? That won't work unless you plumbed the holes in the bottom all the way up to the surface of the tank. Otherwise the tank would completely empty if the return pump were shut off. Much better to do it with a closed loop on the bottom and separate return pump for the overflows. That way you won't have to worry about overflow capacity either.

assuming your overflow can handle the water is pumping into the closed loop directly from the sump an option? You just have to make sure your drain can handle the combined water from your return pump and your flow pump.

clamm said:
assuming your overflow can handle the water is pumping into the closed loop directly from the sump an option? You just have to make sure your drain can handle the combined water from your return pump and your flow pump.

Casey, I don't think pumping from the sump into four holes drilled down the middle of the tank-bottom is really a viable option. The whole 180 gallon tank will empty into the sump if the power goes out!

I like Nate's idea about using one of the holes as a drain on a riser pipe, and using the three remaining holes as returns on a closed loop, but it should definately be on a closed loop to avoid draining the tank into the sump (or basement as the case may be :eek: ) This way you will not have to drill any more holes in the tank.

As for the flow through your sump, you should do well with the two corner overflows draining into your sump with the return lines coming up through the overflows. That combined with the closed loop should give you quite a good bit of flow in the tank.

Makes me want to buy another tank and setup a closed loop system on it. :D

-Brian

Thanks for the input guys... I like having the idea of one closed loop instead of 2 seperate ones. This way I could have 3 returns instead of 2. I was looking at a sequence dart pump. Anyone have any ideas on this? Whould maybe a barricuda be better? I think these are relatively new pumps, I haven't read much on them. I just going to attach lock-lines to the returns for the closed loop just so it was adjustable. Now the drain I'm still not 100% on that yet. if I should attach pvc first and hide it or just put a strainer to the bottom?

I wouldn't put a strainer to the bottom. Especially if you'll have sand in this tank. I'd put a piece of PVC at least 4" above the sand, and then a strainer. It'll be easy to hide in the rock.

How's the Sequence Dart for a closed loop pump? Or maybe a dolphin? Does the dolphin have the glass impeller? That probabally wouldn't be good if any sand got down there eh?

Back