Color question

MichaelJ

Reefer
BRS Member
My Black widow anemone split over a month ago….it had a nice red color, now they are pink?
They haven’t got any darker or lighter. Normal?

Attachments

• 101AA5C7-F6F7-4D2A-9521-9A4578DAE015.jpeg
    101AA5C7-F6F7-4D2A-9521-9A4578DAE015.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 68
  • E98FA209-DAE0-4869-9A66-11C23D65EAE8.jpeg
    E98FA209-DAE0-4869-9A66-11C23D65EAE8.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 9AC31B78-FA30-44DC-9439-1257678582DF.jpeg
    9AC31B78-FA30-44DC-9439-1257678582DF.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 69
When corals / anemones get lighter like this it’s usually because of lower nutrients or higher lighting. It’s caused by the zooxanthellae becoming less dense, higher density = deeper/stronger color, sometimes turning brown. Lower density gives you that lighter / pastel color.

When did it turn pink? Where are your nutrients (NO3/PO4)? Did you change your lighting schedule recently?

When corals / anemones get lighter like this it’s usually because of lower nutrients or higher lighting. It’s caused by the zooxanthellae becoming less dense, higher density = deeper/stronger color, sometimes turning brown. Lower density gives you that lighter / pastel color.

When did it turn pink? Where are your nutrients (NO3/PO4)? Did you change your lighting schedule recently?
I’ve been messing with my lighting for a while…trying to get the perfect situation…so lately it’s been on a lower light schedule. Trying to mathematically convert the Alk

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 65
I’ve been messing with my lighting for a while…trying to get the perfect situation…so lately it’s been on a lower light schedule. Trying to mathematically convert the Alk
I would try and pick one lighting schedule that looks good to you and stick with it for a few weeks, then see how everything responds.

I like to use this website, Hamza’s Reef, for conversions, and it has some other cool calculators on it.

I would try and pick one lighting schedule that looks good to you and stick with it for a few weeks, then see how everything responds.

I like to use this website, Hamza’s Reef, for conversions, and it has some other cool calculators on it.
Will do..should they have a medium lighting or higher lighting? I have no idea about par readings

What light are you running. Most of the bigger names brands have templates that are geared towards a spectrum blend that's suitable. I run t5's o er one tank and use what ATI recommends and Radions over my frag tank with a modified AB+ schedule from WWC that's also been proven to grow corals.

Do I see another RBTA that isn't looking pink / pale?

There are rumors / observations that different types of BTA may not cohabitate well together?

I have seen regular RBTA's go into a similar pale/pink appearance. In both cases it was fairly seasoned tanks (one mine, and one someone else's) with many splits, and every single one in each tank had the same pale pink look. (I don't know about the other tank, but mine did recover their normal appearance over time)

I see one normal color one and one bleached one. If I had to guess the bleached one was hiding for a while after it split? It’ll take some time to recover, but if they’re from the same parent anemone, the bleached looking one should recover after a while.

Edit - realized the one of the splits isn’t the one in the middle. Could be the mixed BTA hypothesis going on there. Try feeding the pale ones directly for a few weeks to see if they recover with some extra nutrients. If not, maybe remove whichever morph you’re less attached to?

Do I see another RBTA that isn't looking pink / pale?

There are rumors / observations that different types of BTA may not cohabitate well together?

I have seen regular RBTA's go into a similar pale/pink appearance. In both cases it was fairly seasoned tanks (one mine, and one someone else's) with many splits, and every single one in each tank had the same pale pink look. (I don't know about the other tank, but mine did recover their normal appearance over time)
Only 2. I have rbta that’s doing pretty good. The one in the middle and upper part of the tank…

I see one normal color one and one bleached one. If I had to guess the bleached one was hiding for a while after it split? It’ll take some time to recover, but if they’re from the same parent anemone, the bleached looking one should recover after a while.

Edit - realized the one of the splits isn’t the one in the middle. Could be the mixed BTA hypothesis going on there. Try feeding the pale ones directly for a few weeks to see if they recover with some extra nutrients. If not, maybe remove whichever morph you’re less attached to?
Yeah I might have to do that…

Only 2. I have rbta that’s doing pretty good. The one in the middle and upper part of the tank…
So one split half looks normal and the other looks pale? Assuming that’s a “yes”, I would agree that hiding in the shade would be a likely explanation, and that feeding and observation would be a good course

So one split half looks normal and the other looks pale? Assuming that’s a “yes”, I would agree that hiding in the shade would be a likely explanation, and that feeding and observation would be a good course
They’ve been in the same depth, and light….and they’re pretty much the same color….I suck at picture taking….but I’ll definitely have a better light schedule going on from now on.

Back