Complexity of a Saltwater Pond

this is me

I like turtles
BRS Member
Fish only with liverocks.
What you think? Is it feasible? My main concern here would be temperature. In the summer would be the heat but under shaded trees will probably be less than 85 degrees. Heating the water at night might be difficult on the electricity meter. Later fall and Winter will probably have to fish them out and put it in the rubbermaid. More water volume in the pond will probably be more stable in temps. But having to house all those fish in the Winter is probably going to a lot of work.

Saw that thread on RC.
However, I'm a peasant and not some Thai prince. I can't afford a pond of that scale. lol
I'm reading that saltwater fish are not very good looking from the top down. Koi are known for their top down appearance.

Also consider when it rains.... salinity, ph, any contaminants that might run into the pond

Good point on the rain. However based on my calculation.
Let say the pond is 10'x20x4'. The total water volume would be 5,987 gallons
If you receive an inch of rain, that would be 125gallon. And let say on a rare occasion, you get 3" of rain. that's 375gallon. That's a very tiny fraction of fresh water being poured into the tank.
Now to think of it, top off for evaporation will probably be the killer! This alone will probably not be practical.

Why do you want to do this? I mean If this were feasible in our region, more rich guys would have had someone set this up for them by now. I think even a salt pond with local fish would be a challenge with seasonal temperature effecting a small body of water more severely than the ocean.

Top off would be fresh though. So I don't think salinity would be tough. Temp and contaminates would worry me more. Also like you stated wintering the fish will limit the size and bioload more then the pond.

What are you considering for filtration? A freshwater skimmer box and waterfall filter with a few lava rocks won't cut it. Or are gonna throw 5000lbs of live rock in and hope for the best? Maybe a big canister filter with bioballs?

Just fantasizing and pushing the limit of this hobby. :D
Maybe an indoor saltwater pond. But it's probably better to just want a really big tank made from plywood with one big window.

Man your wife still likes you. I'd keep it that way. :)
You could consider a heated/cooled greenhouse. Or just build a freshwater pond. I get a good deal of enjoyment from mine (So much so I'm going tripple the volume soon). And I've yet to meet a pond owner who's wife doesn't love it.

Rainwater wouldn't really affect things much as long as you set it up to skim off the surface fresh water tends to "float " on top of salt

What about raccoon falls into the pond? Fox? Bear?

I am in the process of converting the 4x4 feet frag tank into a top view tank. I am enjoying to watch my giant hippo tang from top down. It is like a blue koi.

i have seen on reef central a guy made a indoor pool with a viewing window from inside his basement. he even made a shallow part to it for clams and some corals. it was awesome i have been trying to find that thread for a while now. he has no issues with his setup then again it is inside a green house looking thing

Yes, much too ugly to be a Thai prince :)

I'd be very concerned about vandals.... One bleach bomb and its dunzo

I feel like predation from local fauna would be an issue, lot of hawks in my area. Brightly colored fish in a relatively shallow pond, it's seems almost to easy. Clean up crew would also be a problem, if left out in the winter they would surely die. Collecting them would also be a hypothetical pain in the a, I'm assuming.

Last edited:
Yes, much too ugly to be a Thai prince :)

I'd be very concerned about vandals.... One bleach bomb and its dunzo

This would be a problem with any pond. That being said it's not likely not to mention any hole with water in it in your yard needs to have a fence around it technically so babies aren't wandering over and falling in like 5 gallon buckets are saying happens all the time.

But you would have all the troubles associated with a salt tank and a pond. 2x headaches. And racoons could be an issue not falling in but possibly grabbing a 100 dollar snack. I have to deal with them from time to time and my back yard is sealed up tight.
Also there will be tree debris and pollens in the water. This year was bad and tannens turned the water brown in many ponds. Clear water will be tough because the usual pond tricks won't work.

Winter will cause massive dye off of marine organism and you will have to cycle the pond every spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back