Connecting another tank, frag tank questions, etc

Mrs Fish

obsessed!
I have set up a small frag tank, presently in my basement office which maintains a nice cool temperature. Depending on how I get on, I may increase the tank size, but it's only a 10g at the moment.

May go up to a 20long depending on what you guys say! The light I bought (coralife clip on 14000k) and skimmer (backpack reef ready) and circulation pump are all good enough specs for a slightly larger tank.

The tank has about 6lb LR and I built a platform from egg-crate for frags.

3/4 of the water came from the display tank, and the rest was newly made. All ro/di of course. I have been changing about 1 gallon of water for water from my display every other day to help with stability and maintain calc/alk.

I would prefer to connect it to my display, but I don't know how to do it. If I leave it unconnected in the basement, I could get a larger tank. But not if it's connected to the display.

Here's the question ... I can get the water to the tank using a pump from the sump. But, how do I get it from the tank back down to the sump at the same flow rate? 2nd question ... if there is a power outage, how do I stop it completely draining? If I can figure this out, I might be able to connect it, which would be a lot better.

FYI .. don't have room for a 2nd set up next to main display. Any second tank connected to the display must fit on a side cabinet which is 19" front to back and 16" wide.

Mrs Fish (Sue)

Is the sump you are "feeding" it from, lower? If so, you could have the tank drilled for a drain, and gravity fed back to the sump. As far as the feed line, you could drill as well, or just come up over the side. As far as outtage, if both feed and drain are high in the tank, once water is below those pipes, draining will stop.

I am sure if you post you need a tank drilled, others in your area can accomodate. I can, but we're an hour+ apart.

Hope this helps.

Troubleman, yes the sump is below the display.

In an ideal world, there would be a glass tank measuing about 14 x 14 and about 15" tall. I guess drilling it twice at the same level would work .. hadn't thought about getting something drilled.

Sue

I know it's hard to drill a 10g .. might just be worth continuing in the basement, but getting a larger tank - maybe a 20g

Sue

Here's the question ... I can get the water to the tank using a pump from the sump. But, how do I get it from the tank back down to the sump at the same flow rate?

If it is drilled, you use gravity and you can place a ball valve or t back into the sump if you need to decrease the amount of water going to the display.

2nd question ... if there is a power outage, how do I stop it completely draining? If I can figure this out, I might be able to connect it, which would be a lot better.

Again, if it is drilled, the tank is going to drain or back siphon until the siphon is broken. If you are using locline, once air enters the lockline, the water draining should stop. Hope that made sense. Not enough coffee yet this am. :confused:

Troubleman, yes the sump is below the display.

In an ideal world, there would be a glass tank measuing about 14 x 14 and about 15" tall. I guess drilling it twice at the same level would work .. hadn't thought about getting something drilled.

Sue

PM NeO on the board here. I'm sure he could fabricate something in acryllic which would match your exact needs/wants. There are a large number of people here who have had custom stuff done....(including me). Ask around.

Back