Cooking live rock question

FishieBusiness

BRS Member
I have about 90lbs. of live rock from my current live rock. It has some pests that I want to get rid of. I'm starting a new tank and want to use it in the new build. I have read and watched several things on the subject. I'm looking for any real world experience from BRS. Melevs reef says to just put in a bucket with flow for 6-8 weeks.

What do you think?

Depends on what you’re trying to get rid of. Most algae can be done without killing the rock with hydrogen peroxide ( stronger solution than what is sold in stores ).

If you want to remove all pest you pretty much have two options nuclear and conventional lol. Conventional you take each piece and go over it with a magnifying glass and find them all and remove. This way you are likely to miss the ones that go inside the rock. Nuclear option, put all the rock in tap water and bleach to kill it off for at least a few days . Rinse and put in saltwater with some ammonia specifically for doing this and let the rock re cycle for a couple months. It’s best to get a couple pieces of pest free established rock to seed it . I’m not a big fan of bacteria in a bottle. This is what I do and I still end up with pest . There’s really no way to totally avoid pest unless you don’t add anything.

Depends on what you’re trying to get rid of. Most algae can be done without killing the rock with hydrogen peroxide ( stronger solution than what is sold in stores ).
Shrooms, Nems, vermetid snails mainly, but a little aiptasia also

I think it's pointless to remove vermetid snails. They are on everything and will just come back. But...

I'd recommend the nuclear option (dilute bleach). It will take a while, but will work for sure.

Back