cooking rock

snick1734

Non-member
We have been curing marco rocks 2 weeks now should we be running carbon? good idea or just leave with powerheads & heater

thanks

steve

Have you been skimming?
If you can't skim for it overflowing, carbon will help.

Any water changes? water tests?

and oh yea why not start a bare bottom thread too while your at it? :D

Have you been skimming?
If you can't skim for it overflowing, carbon will help.

Any water changes? water tests?

and oh yea why not start a bare bottom thread too while your at it? :D

The rock is still in the rubbermaid brute can making a spot as we speak for my skimmer , changing water 100% I should test
I have a phosban reactor too have not hooked it up yet

steve

I don't see any need for carbon while curing dry rock. Your just letting dead stuff rot off. I assume you'll be discarding the water, in which case the water quality dosen't matter much. If there was light on the rock as it cured it might make for algae problems, but hopefully it's in the dark anyway?

Edit; OK I was typing slow and wandered off for a minute so other posts kind of make mine irrelevant. Take Marc's advice over mine re;carbon....

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest carbon for no other reason than to help the skimmer simmer down if you need it.
After 2 weeks and a large water change you really shouldn't need it (or the phos reactor for that matter)
Add some seed rock and sand and one of the bacteria products if you are inclined and let things happen.

Right,

I was just thinking that since it's curing in a tub "so what if the water does get foul".

Snick, LMK if you need some rubble or sand to seed,

jk

That's a funny visual :)

I see what your saying and don't disagree at all.

jk

If cooking the rock and not just curing the difference is trying to remove as many organics that may be stored in the rock as possible. This means frequent waterchanges and syphoning out any detritus that comes out of or off the rock. If ony curing I wouldn't do many water changes and just let the bacteria feed off the nutrients.

Cooking can really take months to be effective but can be worth it if you have rock that has a lot of phosphates trapped in it. Also keep it in the dark if possible.

Back