copper in tank

TheBigBadReefer

BRS Member
I have a couple 10 gal tanks and the silicone is clear but you can see its tainted green, im going to assume that who ever owned them previously used copper in them, will this effect my other tanks if I attach them to a 70-80 gal system?

I wouldn't attach that with corals or inverts.
I know cases that the person uses the copper tank in a reef and it looks fine for a while.
But then the tank crashes and nobody knows why. Anyway..... i wouldn't.

Last edited:
I found copper wire pieces in my pump a month after my electrician wired up the lighting, it turned all of the pump inside green, I soaked the pump in vinegar and cleaned, never had a problem since.

I'd stay away from any tanks I even thought had copper in them... I'd just go get some new 10 gallon tanks, they're only $10; well worth it for at least piece of mind...

Green silicone doesn't always mean copper.
I have a 10 gallon that has green silicone and it was from Malichite green/formaline combo that stained it.

What Dave said....it isn't worth it for how little new 10g would cost

What Dave said....it isn't worth it for how little new 10g would cost

Exactly what I was thinking as I was reading, 10s can be had for about $10. Less if you catch a sale. Not worth 1 second of aggravation IMO.

But if your into a DIY and saving the tank you could razor out the existing silicone and run a new bed. It's a PITA and will cost you a tube of silicone and a few hours but.... It may be rewarding.

i'd rather not take the chance, the green tint goes halfway up the silicone bead so guess these guys will be fresh water beta tanks for my roomate lol

Man 10 gallon tanks are $12-$13 now :rolleyes: stupid inflation...

If you run some pura-pads or poly pads it will remove the copper from the system without question... If you use a product called, "metal rid," in addition... You'll be in even better shape, you should run the pads for several weeks.

I've had tanks get massive doses of copper, literally killing off all inverts, full water change and pads bring them back every time.

Back