Coral Question

Spooky

Non-member
I am setting up my reef tank very soon, hopefully this friday. I will be using all live sand and water from established tanks. How long should I wait before introducing corals? To those of you I am buying coral from fear not they are not doomed to die. All the corals I am buying at the meeting are going to be held in my friend's established reef tank until mine is ready for them. Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Spooky

I would probably give it at the very least a couple of weeks before you add anything if you can. Are you using established LR? During that time you are also probably going to begin to see an algae bloom. It also depends on what types of corals you are introducing. I would stay away from the more delicate SPS for a while and stick to the hardier ones for the immediate future.

Forgot to mention in the first post that I will also be using cured established live rock as well. How long before zoas? How long before SPS?

I wouldn't use 100% live sand from another tank. Sand beds tend to get nasty. You'd be better of using new sand and just adding a cup or so of "live sand".
As long as the liverock is cycled already I'd also say wait a couple weeks and test for ammonia and nitrite if your @ 0 you should be good to go. I'd add your corals slowly a couple at a time wait a week, test, if it's still 0 add a couple more.
You just can't rush it. You want to build your bacteria up to handle your bio load. Adding too much all at once will be more then your bacteria can process and you'll get an ammonia spike.
By only adding a few things at a time you let the bacteria grow to catch up with the new food source.
I know it's tuff, but this is a hobby of Patience.

Back