Ques. (Question of the Day) Coral Dips

Cpage101

Current BRS Vice President
Officer
BRS Member
What is your favorite coral dip to use? Do you use something more gentle on something like favias? Do you dip everything that goes in your tank?

I have mainly sps and some lps. Use a pretty strong concentration of bayer when I get new ones with the mentality of “if it dies, it dies” but I def have over a 95% success rate. The lps get scrubbed, swirled, scrubbed etc vs a full 15 min soak. I’ll do an iodine dip on zoas but only have 1 patch my son picked out at fragsgiving

I do a coral rx dip on all incoming corals but I feel it doesn’t get it all so I’m intrigued to see others processes and if there is something better to use.

I also use peroxide if nuisance algae is present and iodine for corals I fragged or stubborn zoas that don’t want to open.

Potassium Chloride. Have used Bayer and Revive in the past. Revive is gentler, but using KCl for sps seems effective.

Bayer, FW exit 3-4x recommended dose, then QT in a frag tank for a while. I've had mdntipora eating nudis survive dipping more than once...

It hurts a bit to dump bleach in the frag tank, but better than the display.

Bayer, FW exit 3-4x recommended dose, then QT in a frag tank for a while. I've had mdntipora eating nudis survive dipping more than once...

That’s something I’ve been interested in fw exit dips have you ever seen any negative side effects? And 3-4x the dose for how long?

Last edited:

I'm currently battling montipora eating nudis. I always dip incoming corals in Bayer, and I usually qt new corals unless I'm confident in the vendor. I have no idea where they came from, but I'm guessing eggs came in from somewhere. I'm currently dipping everything in Revive, but I have no choice but to put them back in the display until I can get my qt tank ready for sps. It's very frustrating. Revive knocks off the adults, but not the eggs. :(

That’s something I’ve been interested in fw dips have you ever seen any negative side effects? And 3-4x the dose for how long?

Mini brittle stars seem super stressed by the FW exit, but the population seems to recover easily enough. I seem to recall that normal sized brittles also seem to get stressed out from it, but I never saw any actual losses that I was aware of. I've read that FW exit supposedly can be helpful with some other pests, but I don't recall the specifics. (I think I have seen monti eating nudis specifically mentioned, but I have found it ineffective for the eggs if not the actual nudi's)

I use either Coral Rx or Revive. I dip zoas and some softies in peroxide then either of the two above.

What's a coral dip? lol. I've used everything in the past in terms of commercially available dips to Bayer, lately I've been using Exodus from Reef Moonshiners. I also usually only purchase coral from a select few.

Starting this year, Bayer can’t be sold in MA, at least the original formulation with two chemicals in it.
The one you still can find in Lowes is different formula despite the front label is the same.

I have been trying potassium chloride for a while now. It deems to kill everything except the coral. My observation is that coral slime excessively to protect itself, but other critters can’t.

Back