corals dying?

Moose

Non-member
If anyone can help, or has ideas, I have some corals dying and am not sure why,

I have a red brain that was doing great, opening up everyday was about 5inches long when opening, now its about 2 1/2 inches all bunched up tight, I thought maybe it was opening up and hitting the chalice I have so I moved the chalice. Today the brain looks even worse? Any ideas on how it likes flow, or higher in the tank, lower in the tank?? Yikes I don't want to loose these, Their like my babies lol

Right now the brain is placed about in the middle of the tank, direct center, its a 46 bow with 4 t-5s

The next guy is a purple lobo and was doing great, now, the middle is completly dead and just small portions on the outside are alive. When this little guy wasn't doing good I moved him around trying to find a spot he would thrive in but never found one I guess. He has a little bit of algae now where he's died off (on the skeleton)

He is low almost on the sand bed right now, a small powerhead aimed at him, should I break him? Can you break a Lobo to remove the dead parts? Leave him? hand feed him something? Yikes I have no Idea

The last thing I am having difficulty with is the goni (purple/blue) He isn't dying, but he never fully extends his arms. He's about the saize of a small baseball, and I always see the heads either just barely out or sucked in,
His location is on the side about halfway up the tank.

My system is kept at 8.0-8.1 for ph, salinity is .0125, calcium 480, mag, 1400s,

I have two large powerheads, two small ones, a big rena skimmer, two reactors one running carbon/phos and the other running bio-pellets

My feeding is frozen 99% of the time, everything from jay's mix to baby shrimps for anenomes and dendro, mysis, brine, spirulina, spirulina brine, emerald entree, krill, planton, cyclopeez etc,
I had red seas reef energy 1 and 2, along with the coral foods liquid oyseter feast and liquid phyto feast

Water changes once a week too, ..... so any ideas why these could be dying? Or any ideas on how they should be placed, with flow, without flow etc??? Any help would be great!!!!!!!!!!! ::

how old is the tank. how long have you had the coral. and the biggy temp has it been spiking during the day or do you have centrl air or a chiller
oh ya alk

Run AC in the room for the tank, its 2 years old, the corals are all within 2 months old, temps usually around 76-79 degrees

not to be a nag but when did u measure allk and calc . low alk is always my default parameter for problems

have u dosed anything recently ? done a water change? added mag, calc or alk?

have you moved the PH or coral. do you use the same thing for you W/C. cleanerin the water odd compny over maybe put somthing in the tank ??????? hmmmmm i have no clue just putting things out there. not knowing why is the worst

Do you have fish or shrimp in your tank?
A large bristle worm can also cause this. It may only be out at night. Wait two or three hours after it is dark around the tank
and see if you can see a large bristleworm. Use a flashlight, they retract when they see light.
Some fish/shrimp like to take a occasional bite out of a red brain or purple lobo.
I had a yellow tang once that like to nip at LPS corals.
This can be difficult behavior to catch but over time can cause damage.

The goni (purple/blue) may be more of an issue with light and/or current.
Do you run activated charcoal?

what do you mean by carbon dose? I have a reactor with pellitzed carbon running, as well as fish and shrimp and def bristleworms. I have a mystery wrasse and a six line, 4 clowns , a dragonet, 2 diamond gobys, a watchman goby, dottyback, i have about 3 emerald crabs, 2 sally lightfooted crabs, 2 cleaners, 2 peppermint shirmps, turbos, chessnut snails, nassirius snails, 2 sand sifting stars, a small red and orange star (he is newer, maybe a month) and about 50 diff corals

Any time I see a bristleworm, I grab it with the tongs, I've been stung before and I guess its that bad kind cause its gives me nasty bumps, gets numbs an usually lasts over a month to heal

Back