Covering my tank

TomD

Non-member
It's uncovered and I absolutely love my eel and don't want to lose him. I hate glass covers. Everything I try to DYI is UGLY!!

Where I have eurobrace, maybe I am a little safer??

Any better suggestions? Never had to cover my reefs.

I have the mesh too.. As soon as i get the light meter I'm going to do a few little measurements and stuff..

My tank isn't completely covered so i had one jumper when i lost power for a while. Also I wish i took my time with it more because mine is kind of ugly. My next tank it will look much better

Those screens are great, but IMO for an eel you'd have to find a way to clip it on or really hold it down otherwise he'd just push it up. I have contacted that guy as well, he was very responsive and helpful. I just hadn't figured out a good way of keeping the top down with a strong fish pushing it up. I eventually moved my eels to a big stock tank with pvc tunnels covered by live rock and built the sides up with plexi to keep them in. Before I moved them I lost one of my eels while I was away for a few days. I had had him for years and he decided to leave the tank. It was covered with glass tops, but I must have left a section askew before I left. I would have found him and all would have been fine had I been home, but no one here knew to look for him. So I guess my point is, if the tank isn't covered he will eventually get out.

You can try this:

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92010

I ordered some mesh from him and it's just awesome. I used to have glass covers but after using this, I will never use anything else. I spent just $12 on the frame and extra equipment needed for the DIY.

+1 this stuff is great...

Those screens are great, but IMO for an eel you'd have to find a way to clip it on or really hold it down otherwise he'd just push it up.

+1 on this as well. I used to have an eel in my 29 and it still escaped with my glass cover. Even a small one would have little trouble pushing up on the screen. But if properly secured it wouldn't be a problem...

Can this 1/4" clear propylene screen be purchased locally?

IIRC you can but IIRC it's actually cheaper and much much easier to purchase from that guy in the link posted...

I checked into using the clips that are used for reptile screen covers to hold them down in my eel tank, but the ones I found were too small. Depending in the size of the tank involved, they might work.

Back