Culturing Phytoplankton

tucc185

Non-member
Has anyone cultured phytoplankton before specifically as coral & invert food? I read an article in Coral by Ronald Shimek about how inadequate most commercially available phytoplankton-based supplements are nutritionally, and it got me thinking. I think it would make an interesting project, but I don't have a clue as to where to get pure starter cultures. I'm especially looking to do this because I'm planning on converting my reef to a lagoon biotope dominated by Porites with commensal christmas tree worms (which are notoriously difficult to provide with enough food). Any input is appreciated,
Mike

I know some people here are culturing their own phyto. I did it myself a while ago, but not anymore.
I'm sure you can get some live culture locally from other member.

it doesnt take alot of time and it is very easy to do.
i used the method on flame angels site as well. I got my cultures and food from florida aquafarms. but i went on vaction didnt switch over the batch and just havent gotten around to setting up new culture. you have to stay on top of the batch once it matures you need to divide and restrt new ones or it's just like pouring waste in your tank you can tell by color and smell if it is good or not

It looks like I've been 'drafted' to give a talk on this at the meeting in June, FWIW.

Back