daily water changes

Rhody

Non-member
Hello,
i was wondering if there is a way to calculate how much water i would need to change daily. I had someone tell me one time that you need to have it be more than you would normally do in a one time change. my system is approximately 400 gal and i just ordered the dos module for my apex. I called marine depot but they didnt have the information on its capabilities. I've called Apex but they seem to be very busy. If it cant do the amount i need then i will cancel the order. Thanks, Tom

More info than you could ever possibly want

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/

Scroll way down and he compares a weekly 30 pct WC to various daily and continue scenarios.

In a nutshell when you do a daily WC you are changing a small portion of water that was recently changed making it slightly inefficient compared to single larger WC.

BTW, I myself use the Genesis reef water changer and it's awesome. It's pricier at $500 though. I didn't have this apex option when i bought it. I change 1 gallon of water every 4 hours (42 gal/wk) on my 310 gallon system. It's probably like doing a single 38 gal WC. I never bothered to do the math.

...stupid auto correct

Last edited:
Hmmm..the article got me thinking about continuous or daily water changes. If do it right, we can avoid using dosing system. Buff up the salt water mix a little higher than the level you want and the daily water changes will act as the daily dosing as well.
But, there's still some work involed here. The freshly mixed salt will always have to have a pump running and getting the level to stay where you want might be a challenge. Heck, if you do it right, you may avoid ATO altogether. If the salinity of the freshly mixed salt water is lower to compensate for the display evaporation. I'm in no shape to set up something like this but something to think about.

Interesting, never thought of buffing the salt mix in place of dosing. One thing though, I currently have to mix my batch at a lower salinity because my sw mix container has some evap too over the course of the 10 days. I start it a little low and it ends a little high keeping my DT in balance. The system removes 1 gallon and replaces one gallon, it doesn't fill it my max running volume so I'd still need an ato. I think this apex doser could do it that way.

...stupid auto correct

There is a easy way to do daily water change:
Plumb a 20 gallon high tank into your system.
Drilled a hole at the bottom with a gate vale.
Everyday you shut off the return flow to this tank and open the gate vale to drain it.
Close the drain and fill the tank with fresh water, add salt, mix, turn on the return flow.
That is it.

This way you don't need to worry about mixing fresh saltwater too long.

Hmmm..the article got me thinking about continuous or daily water changes. If do it right, we can avoid using dosing system. Buff up the salt water mix a little higher than the level you want and the daily water changes will act as the daily dosing as well.
But, there's still some work involed here. The freshly mixed salt will always have to have a pump running and getting the level to stay where you want might be a challenge. Heck, if you do it right, you may avoid ATO altogether. If the salinity of the freshly mixed salt water is lower to compensate for the display evaporation. I'm in no shape to set up something like this but something to think about.

I like the idea but wonder if you can do it with ato cause evaporation varies depending on many factors.

My basement system evaporates around 5 gallons almost every day but the swing in salinity is minimal barely noticeable . Im sure something like that might work but it would be really tricky to dial in I bet

I have been doing a daily water change for a little over three years. I have about 140gal total volume. I change about 5gal/day. It doesnt affect your top off. I have a liter Meter III, and it does it all. I just need to remember to keep my WC barrels full.

I like the idea but wonder if you can do it with ato cause evaporation varies depending on many factors.
It's a little tricky but entirely possible. It's all math when you think about it.
1)First decide on the amount of daily water change you want to do on your system.
2)Evaluate the evaporation rate per day in your system. I know this may vary from season to season but it's probably won't affect much.
3)Mix salt water at lower salinity with the evaporation accounted for.
4)Calculate your ALK, CA, MG uptake on the system
5)Test ALK, CA, and MG of your freshly mixed salt water with the lower salinity than tank water.
6)Add the amount of supplements in step 4 into your freshly mixed water.
7)Since adding the supplements, your salinity will rise a bit, test salinity and rebalance step 1-6.
8)Once you have a freshly mixed water with the correct salinity, alk, ca, and MG. it's now ready for your daily water changes.

This will eliminate the need for ATO and your daily supplements if done correctly. When my new system is more mature and that I need a new project, I will take on this task. I already have a 60gallon ATO reservoir that I can use for the freshly mixed water container. A two level ATO which I can set it to auto water change and a Spectre Pure Liter Meter pump that can easily do the 3 gallon per day. I just need a drain! and a lot of calculation and testing but it will be a fun project.

use your liter meter to drain. I have mine dump water out my basement, and then in the winter I have it go into a 55gal drum.

I will have my sw stored in a 55 gal barrel with a pump stirring it. If i seal off the top in some way will that solve the evaporation issue?

Last edited:
It's a little tricky but entirely possible. It's all math when you think about it.
1)First decide on the amount of daily water change you want to do on your system.
2)Evaluate the evaporation rate per day in your system. I know this may vary from season to season but it's probably won't affect much.
3)Mix salt water at lower salinity with the evaporation accounted for.
4)Calculate your ALK, CA, MG uptake on the system
5)Test ALK, CA, and MG of your freshly mixed salt water with the lower salinity than tank water.
6)Add the amount of supplements in step 4 into your freshly mixed water.
7)Since adding the supplements, your salinity will rise a bit, test salinity and rebalance step 1-6.
8)Once you have a freshly mixed water with the correct salinity, alk, ca, and MG. it's now ready for your daily water changes.

This will eliminate the need for ATO and your daily supplements if done correctly. When my new system is more mature and that I need a new project, I will take on this task. I already have a 60gallon ATO reservoir that I can use for the freshly mixed water container. A two level ATO which I can set it to auto water change and a Spectre Pure Liter Meter pump that can easily do the 3 gallon per day. I just need a drain! and a lot of calculation and testing but it will be a fun project.

I would love to see the wrote up of that! As I think about it I refill 5 gallon ato pretty much every week and 6 days on average in the winter, I have forced hot air. Then like anything else you monitor and if salinity starts to trend it would be easy just to add a little fresh water or saltwater to the ato.

If it helps just read that neptune is coming out with a dosing system thst does automatic water changes and you can set up text alerts when you need to replenish water. Priced at 350

Sorry i didnt respond sooner. Thanks for the help. i have the apex dos system on preorder. I'll post some info when i get it up and running. Tom

Back