darn bulkheads

snick1734

Non-member
So tonight we were eating dinner when nicole noticed some water on the floor in the dining room, :eek: right side drain somehow came loose:confused:.

but all is good for now thanks to a whole roll of teflon tape & few words with mr bulkhead.

steve

Snick, I was warned years ago about bulkhead fittings getting loose over time and you've found that out first hand! I was told that it has to do with contraction and expansion do to various things and I'm sure some vibration would assist with that as well. Whatever the reason(s) its not bad practice to check on them every so many months :)

Snick, I was warned years ago about bulkhead fittings getting loose over time and you've found that out first hand! I was told that it has to do with contraction and expansion do to various things and I'm sure some vibration would assist with that as well. Whatever the reason(s) its not bad practice to check on them every so many months :)

heres the kicker they do vibrate every now & then because of the flow maybe pushing through them But I will now keep A eye or 2 on them for now on just glad we fixed it before we go on vacation next week. some day I want to do some changes to the plumbing here & there

steve

Glad you got it all straightened out.

This is also a reason I use only schedule 80 bulkheads. Although a little more pricey, they are much more sturdy!

Only problem is they require a larger hole. Can be a problem on stock tanks.

So far no leaks & the nerves are still in the dryer on high heat:).

mike that birds nest has now doubled in size & colors are sweet

steve

I have the hardest time uploading pictures to here nicole is the smart one when it comes to resizing pictures, It has been a while since we posted a pic or 2 . I will have her post some up.

doh :) 1000 posts now I can retire, well back to trying to figure out these vhos & why they work one day then nuttin the next .

steve

A little newb. question here?Would it be wise to run a bead of silicone around the under side of the bulkhead to maybe help prevent them from vibrating loose?

A little newb. question here?Would it be wise to run a bead of silicone around the under side of the bulkhead to maybe help prevent them from vibrating loose?

That doesn't hurt and is probably IMO a good idea. Some people do it, some don't. If you do use silicone, I would put it on both sides of the gasket to keep that sealed. I suppose you could also but a little on the threads and or under the nut to keep that from moving.

Best bet, just check them every now and then. About as tight as you can get with your hand, but not tool tight.

I definitely wouldn't do this, unless you just mean to put some on the threads to lock the nut in place.

If you mean putting silicone on the gasket, don't do it. This just causes misery down the road. Once the silicone is set and sealed, if the bulkhead gets bumped, or needs tightened, or touched in any way, it will leak. Then the cured silicone will interfere with the seal, and you'll never get it to stop leaking.

The silicone also causes the rubber gasket to squeeze out from its proper position, it really is not required and will cause more harm than good.

Jim

That doesn't hurt and is probably IMO a good idea. Some people do it, some don't. If you do use silicone, I would put it on both sides of the gasket to keep that sealed. I suppose you could also but a little on the threads and or under the nut to keep that from moving.

Best bet, just check them every now and then. About as tight as you can get with your hand, but not tool tight.

I'll defer to what Nate and Jim said, I don't do the silicone thing anyway, and they both raised good points on why not to bother....

Update all looking good at this point no issues so far:)

heres what i did for now till we get some new bulkheads, drained the overflow side that was leaking took off the pest bulkhead cleaned & wiped down the glass both sides, put some teflon tape on the bulkhead threads snugged it all back together ONLY used a bit of silicone on the bottom of the threads its not leaking only a temp fix seems to be doing well.

steve

Back