darn wrasse

S

scottysreef

i just happend to get a great deal on a crocea clam
well i had a moon wrasse and it would always pick on the clam :mad:

so trying to get it out of my tank was so impossible

i had to pretty much take everything out live rock and corals

long story short taking everything out and putting things back in

i lost some corals and some of my polops and zoos along with my green star polyps arent opening up

any concern for this? i tested the water and everything is still perfect no spikes

please help

i just happend to get a great deal on a crocea clam
well i had a moon wrasse and it would always pick on the clam :mad:

so trying to get it out of my tank was so impossible

i had to pretty much take everything out live rock and corals

long story short taking everything out and putting things back in

i lost some corals and some of my polops and zoos along with my green star polyps arent opening up

any concern for this? i tested the water and everything is still perfect no spikes

please help

Wow! Quite an experience! IME the Wrasse may have been picking at the clam because it may have had Pyramid snails on it which Wrasses are notorious for ridding the reef of these parasitic snails.

If that is/was the case the clam was doomed anyway. About an hour or two after lights out check the underside of the clam and look for tiny white cone shaped snails. That may have been his mission.

Well that was kinda dumb, why didnt you just trap the fish out? If your wrasse was so into your clam you could of even used it as bait to get it into the trap. IMO if your going to remove a fish you either do it at night while its sleeping (if it sleeps in the open) or you just lay a trap in for a day or so then bait it when the fish start seeing the trap as just another piece of aquarium decoration.

dumb yes and the wrasse sleeps under this rock i have so i would have to remove that large piece of live rock anyway
i guess a newbie mistake but everything is looking ok now i think everything was just in shock

my lights have been off for about 2 hours i checked the clam and there are no parasites anywhere

Excellent!! Then chalk it up to lessons learned. We've all been there.

I think the Pocket Expert series of books for fish and coral are an excellent resource to check before adding anything new. Worth the price for sure. You can get them used on Amazon for about $15 ea. Money well spent.

Back