Derasa Clam

Phytoplankton when they are small less than 2 inches and photosynthesis when they get bigger. I toss in some phyto from time to time.

I think it was Fathoree that reported a study a few years ago showing that most Tridacna clams including maxima, crocea, as well as derasa and many others generate enough enrgy from photosynthesis to sustain their metabolism even when very small. There was also information around bowl feeding (ie putting the clam in a bowl with some food to filter feed but keep the food out of the general aquarium) to possibly be detrimental to the clams as their gills can become clogged.

If you have adequite lighting, from what I have read and my experience with small maximas (1-1.5") and croceas I would just let them be and not add anything else.

Aloha, first congrats on the new clam. They are really great and fun to watch grow and fluff out. As far as feeding, I've never target fed mine and it is now about 8-9 inches. I'm sure it has processed assorted foods that end up filtering through from feeding the fish but that seems to be incidental. For some science on how they gather nutrition, they are photosynthetic so making sure they are in the right light is paramount. Here's an awesome summary post from Reef-Geeks. I didn't want to quote and not give credit to the guy who summarized research so well:

http://www.reef-geeks.com/forums/clam-geeks/133-tridacnid-clam-feeding-truth.html

Ive never fed any of my clams and they grow like crazy. I have also heard others say to feed them when they are babies but i dont believe that to be necessary. Adequate light and good water quality and proper calcium levels should be the main concerns. For derasas which do well on the sand bed you need to make sure lighting is up to "par" especially in a deeper tank. As stated above I also have a derasa which i got at about 1 1/2 inch and it is now about 6 and i never target fed.

Ive never fed any of my clams and they grow like crazy. I have also heard others say to feed them when they are babies but i dont believe that to be necessary. Adequate light and good water quality and proper calcium levels should be the main concerns. For derasas which do well on the sand bed you need to make sure lighting is up to "par" especially in a deeper tank. As stated above I also have a derasa which i got at about 1 1/2 inch and it is now about 6 and i never target fed.

+1 Here, I have three, and never fed them.

I think it was Fathoree that reported a study a few years ago showing that most Tridacna clams including maxima, crocea, as well as derasa and many others generate enough enrgy from photosynthesis to sustain their metabolism even when very small. There was also information around bowl feeding (ie putting the clam in a bowl with some food to filter feed but keep the food out of the general aquarium) to possibly be detrimental to the clams as their gills can become clogged.

If you have adequite lighting, from what I have read and my experience with small maximas (1-1.5") and croceas I would just let them be and not add anything else.

+1
Also, clam does not and can't eat cyclopeze.

when u feed ur fish they will eat...when u stir up the sand they will eat.....when u turkey baste ur rocks they will eat......no feeding neccesary.....just good water quality & lighting!!!!

Some people dose ammonium nitrate as clam food (in small amount, not for fire work in your tank)
In asian clam farm, they pee in it ...

Some people dose ammonium nitrate as clam food (in small amount, not for fire work in your tank)
In asian clam farm, they pee in it ...

BRB going to piss in my tank LMAO jk. Pee is used for a lot actually, i know people say it remedies acne as well...i myself would rather acne lol

I know that a scallop is not a clam but I have a Flame Scallop for going on 2 yrs and I've had it from birth
anyway, mollusks are filter feeders and your water coloum can't be that sterile or they won't have anything to eat
IMO don't over skim, no need to feed unless you have a sterile tank

I know that a scallop is not a clam but I have a Flame Scallop for going on 2 yrs and I've had it from birth
anyway, mollusks are filter feeders and your water coloum can't be that sterile or they won't have anything to eat
IMO don't over skim, no need to feed unless you have a sterile tank

+1
I read on RC that people actually dose skimmate back into the tank.
There was a speaker years back at BRS meeting presented that he blended cheato and feed the juice into his tank as well.

Back