DIY food

Rudy

Wannabe Marine Ecologist
Hi - Does anyone have a good recipe or resource for some DIY food. I am tired of buying Formula I & II, Marine Cuisine, Emerald Entree, etc. I am thinking it is probably as simple as buying the ingredients, i.e. clam, mysis, nori, etc. But, what, if anything, do I use as a binding agent?

Any thoughts, recipes, links, will be well received

It is that simple.Just use the freshest ingredients you can and no farm raised seafood's.Imo skip cyclopeezs...that stuff is rocket fuel for all sorts of unwanteds.I found the foods bound together pretty well on their own...maybe you could use knox or similar.

Thanks Willray - I avoid most of that bottled stuff, e.g. cyclopeez, etc.,. save some vitamins which i occasionally add.

What is "knox?"

OK - but where is it, i.e. where can it "Knox" be purchase?

Also, why do you suggest to not use

Thanks again

Farm raised seafoods are usually raised in very polluted water high in nitrates. Especially
shrimp. That would translate into unnecessary high nitrates when you put it in your tank.

Rudy, you can get it at any grocery store. Jayman10134 is spot on,they are raised in VERY polluted waters(have seen a few videos/reports that it would churn your stomach),so much so that many reports are saying people should not eat it either, its so high in all kinds of pollutants.Especially right now where allot of it comes from Asian waters.

I'm gonna try a small experiment this weekend, minus the binding agent of any type. I figure much of the food I utilize apparently does not utilize such things (gels). It appears to simply be frozen in mass, i.e. mysis, blood worms, krill, etc. It seems the processed ones are the ones which are bound, i.e. formulas, cuisines, and the like.

I'll be sure to post my results.

TGIF

P.S. My stomach is churning just thinking about the farms you mention. Shame when you think it is, at least in spirit, an attempt to not deplete the natural resources. Unfortunately, I am unsure if whether or not an item is farm raised or from the ocean is denoted in the seafood section?

Last edited:
It usually tells you on the price tag in the ice, the bag, somewhere and the place of origin too.Might be one of those have to tell ya things.

It usually tells you on the price tag in the ice, the bag, somewhere and the place of origin too.Might be one of those have to tell ya things.

Thanks - I guess I'll have to pay a little closer attention.

Back