DIY Sump Design and Protein Skimmer

BigDora

Non-member
I'm going to build a sump for a 54 corner (very awkward stand) and am trying to maximize my space in my sump. Almost every design I have looked at has the protein skimmer in the sump. Is it possible to have the protein skimmer outside the sump? Could anyone give me any pointers on the advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks in advance.
Claudia

Many people hang a skimmer on the back of their sump instead of the tank. If you go with an in sump skimmer you have more choices and can use a bigger skimmer. However, if you go with the first option you would have more room in the sump to add a fuge. :D At 54 gallons, you can find a hang on the back skimmer that is big enough. FWIW, I have an in sump skimmer on my 29g.

I've thought about the hang on skimmer too. I could fit a bigger sump into the stand, but would have to put it in through the back of the stand. And then it will be in there forever. I've read that some people do this, but I am a little nervous. Has anyone done this and regretted it? I was also considering a hang on the sump refugium instead of a hang on skimmer.

Perhaps we could move back to a more basic question. What are the avalable dimensions in the stand and what size sump are you wanting to put in? I would not want to put a skimmer somewhere that it can not be removed for cleaning and maintenance. Plus the cup need to be easy to get to so that you can empty it regularly.

It is a AGA 54 corner aquarium (1/4 cylinder) 27"x27"x39. I could fit a 20 H in (24X12.5) before the aquarium is filled or a 15H through the doors without having to move the aquarium.

More volume is better here so I would plan on the 20H instead of the 15. However the 20H is 16 inches tall so you could have clearance issues if your stand is low. I believe you could hang a skimmer on the front in order to still have access to it.

I have a 20H under my 29. You can see more info on how I did mine here.

You would probably need lower baffles to accommodate more overflow on a 54. But this is easy to calculate.

I would probably go with design 1 if using a return pump lower than say 600GPH but I would move the bubble trap between the fuge and pump insted of skimmer and fuge. Otherwise design 2 is better IMO. In design 2 I would add a baffle between the fuge and return pump to stop those evil bubbles!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back