DIY VorTech Battery Backup

Bobbofin

Non-member
After seeing what's inside the battery backup I decided to build my own. The parts are the same spec as those inside the box and it's wired exactly the same but I won't have the box but I did save myself $97.00!

Here's a list of parts:
12vdc/18amp sealed lead acid battery from Royal Battery, Malden $35
Werker 12vdc/1000ma charger with indicator from Batteries Plus $26
Radio Shack #270-1238 5x20mm fuse holder $ 3
Radio Shack #270-1050 5x20mm 1.5amp fuse (4 pack) $ 3
Radio Shack #274-1571 1.3mm, size H DC power plug $ 3
Misc connectors, 6' of 20 gauge wire $ 2

Total: $72.00

Attachments

• DIY Diagram.jpg
    DIY Diagram.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 7,125
  • DIY Battery.jpg
    DIY Battery.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 7,575
Last edited:
what a great idea bob, this will rum 1 vortech? any idea on the run time. thanks for sharing this, i may do this myself.

jay

It will run a MP40 for 36 hours and a MP10 for 72 with a 18 amp battery. If you get a higher amperage battery the time will go up accordingly. I live on Daniel Webster Hwy, a main route not a side road, so if the power goes out it only does for a few hours. That ice storm a few years ago that people didn't have power for many days I only did without for about a half a day.
Oh ya, the center of the plug in is the positive.

Amazon has a 12v 18MA sealed acid battery for 35.18 and a float charger for 24.88 with free shipping just placed my order

Bob do you know of any power inverters that would make this feasible for us lowely Koralia owners? Would prob be cheaper than buying an MP10 or 40 even though I would love one :D

Bringing this back up top because it awesome. I did it with 2 batteries and have hooked up to one of the vortech pumps so far and will tie in the second soon.

do the amps determine how long it will run for? I think in the last 10 years we lost power 2 or 3 times for 2-4 hours. What we do get every now and again is a flicker for 2-3 seconds, usually in the summer and it is just enough for us to have to reset the clocks and such. I guess I would only need it for that but to have it last 6-12 hours if need be.

Does anyone know if this will prevent you from having to reset night mode on an MP10?

well it says in the user manual I found online that if it loses power you need to reset it. I know it remembers what mode you are on, I will have to test it out tomorrow

Ill check mine again but I thought it worked after the power went out and it went to battery mode I could be wrong so ill shut it down tomorrow and see

Back