do I really need baffles?

Has anyone tried and/or had success with using a drop in baffle system. By this I mean you assemble the baffles outside of the tank using small pieces of Acrylic pipe or possibly PVC pipe to space them out and hold them together. The baffles cut to fit snugly into the sump. Then use some clear tubing to make a spongy gasket along the edges of each baffle.

The idea being that you could simply slide teh completed baffle assembly into your sump if needed and then slide them out if they ever needed cleaning or modification.

Just an idea I was considering.

Baffles

Yes, I bought a few acrylic sheets at HD that are longer than my 150 gallon sump's width (Rubbermaid Stock Tank). I di not cut them to fit...I just bent them into place and they work fine.

mattn007 said:
Has anyone tried and/or had success with using a drop in baffle system. By this I mean you assemble the baffles outside of the tank using small pieces of Acrylic pipe or possibly PVC pipe to space them out and hold them together. The baffles cut to fit snugly into the sump. Then use some clear tubing to make a spongy gasket along the edges of each baffle.

The idea being that you could simply slide teh completed baffle assembly into your sump if needed and then slide them out if they ever needed cleaning or modification.

Just an idea I was considering.

Here's a really simple way to get rid of bubbles from an return line entering a sump. Take and old salt bucket. Bend the metal handles off. Cut off the bottom, but kind of do it like you are pretty drunk...ie...cut it kind of ragged, not perfectly straight (usually use a Makita hand held grinder for this, makes a mess, but works really fast). Drill a hole in the top a little larger than your return hose. The bubbles will rise to the top of the bucket and burst, but you will have very little salt spray since the top of the bucket is on, water will flow out through the bottom, largely bubble-free.

Bingo, instant bubble diffuser, small, and essentially free.

Back