Really Need Help/Answers

Spooky

Non-member
Ok I'm freaking out and don't know if I should be. I was switching from my old sump to a new one tonight and had to temporarily disconnect the drain hose from the bulkhead. When I reattached it I made sure to twist it on back and forth so as not to over tighten the bulkhead but I guess I made a mistake. I heard a sound that scared the hell out of me (the overflow pipe turning and hittting the glass) which ended up not being the glass cracking like I thought it was. Next thing there's water leaking from my bulkhead. Not a lot of water just a slow drip but enough to concern me. What can/should I do? I really don't want to take it apart and put a new bulkhead in. Should I try using silicone at the leak? Someone please save the last of my sanity please.

well you can try silicone. i would drain it past the bulkhead. and since you are there already i would replace the bulkhead to be safe. but either way you should drain it to get a good dry area to adhere or replace

No, you need to replace that bulkhead if it's cracked. No choice, otherwise you'll spend endless time trying to stop the leak but to no avail. Cut out the wasted time and fix it right.

Did the bulkhead itself crack, or is it the nut? If it's the nut, that can't be all that bad to replace. Even if you do have to replace the whole bulkhead It shouldn't really be all that bad.

Shut off the return pump and pull the duroso so the overflow drains. Siphion another 1/2" from the display into the sump to avoid dribbling. Bulkhead out, bulkhead in, water on.... Done in 15 min max.

Pile up some towels to catch the leak for tonight and fix it tommorow. You'll save yourself days or weeks of aggravation if you try anything else IMO.

Edit; not pooping on chris's post, just another response typed at the same time

Sounds good so far. Here's my next stupid question. I don't need to actually drain the tank itself to do this do I? I can just drain the overflow right? Thanks for all the advice so far.

As long as the bulkhead is either in an overflow box, or near the top of the tank, then no you don't have to drain the tank.

If you try to silicone it, you might have a problem because you'd need to let the silicone dry at least partially (like overnight min IME). That would mean not running your return all that time...

Where is your tank drilled, and how is it set up? (internal overflow box, just a bulkhead near the surface, something else?)

is this just the overflow box? if so it is a whole lot easier to do. just break the syphon and pull the box off, then replace the bulkhead drain

It is an AGA 65 gallon tank with the megaflow system. I really don't think the glass is cracked at all. I'm thinking the bulkhead washer is broken. It's leaking slow enough that I don't need to do this tonight. The bulkhead is on the bottom of the tank.

ok you will have to drain it so it stops overflowing into the overflow then you can replace it

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I've got a project for tomorrow after work. Should I just replace the rubber seal or get a whole new bulkhead fitting? I think I may have an extra seal laying around but I'm not sure. I'll let everyone know if it's a success tomorrow. Thanks again.

I'd replace the whole thing if I were you. Why risk having to take it apart again?

Also, I'd think the rubber gasket would be the last thing to crack. Probably one of the two hard plastic parts? It'll probably be obvious when you take it apart, but I'd be sure to have the whole assembly on hand.

Just remember, when you put it back together tommorow, the Gasket ALWAYS goes on the flange side, not the nut side. Get it solid hand tight, maybe a little more, but you don't want to over do it.

Back