does anybody on this forum have a nps tank?

jenreef

Non-member
my plan is to keep two tanks one regular reef tank and one nps (non photosynthetic) tank. for the nps tank i want it to be around 30 gallons and a high tank. and i am planning to put seahorses in it. i plan on putting tonga live rock. and get a hang on the back refugium with caulerpa. well i have been looking online and i think i know a bit about nps tanks. i know you need a really good skimmer, good filter, heavy feeding and frequent water changes. what else should i know? is there anybody in this forum that keeps nps tanks? if so i will love to see pictures of your tank and hear any tips

I dont have one but did a heck of alot of research before I started my current tank as this is what I was initially going to do. RC has a specific forum and I would start there. 30 gallons is a small tank when your dealing with so many swings in ph and nitrates and phosphates. These tanks require alot of food an constant maintanence. Alot of ppl are running syringe injection feeders or auto feeders on hourly basis using different types of foods and many are using a specific type of food (fauna marines) and are not readily available in the states, there are a few places carryinf it though. . Large skimmers and ozone are a must and many ppl are haveing alot of luck with utilizing ATS's as well. A plus side is Low light levels~ this also keeps the agea to a minimum.
Seahorses prob would not be a great idea in a NPS as in such a tank you want laminar flow and it needs to be at a fairly good pace as far as flow is concerned. I had planned on 2 closed loops reversing every 6 hours to simulate tide conditions but other than that it really needs to be constant in one direction for large periods of time.
NP pellets would prob be a very good idea on these tanks as well. The bacteria not removed from protien skimming would also feed the corals. LARGE amounts of GFO are needed to maintain PO4.
Caulerpa will do nothing for this type of system, does not have the capacity to remove the organics or anything ese fast enough to do anything for the system, same with cheato. You would need an extreme amount. As said before look into the ATS systems. Theres really nothing commercial to buy and you would need to DIY it. Do a search on it as there is a specific website just on these systems.

Hopefully Ive helped alittle on this.

Back