Don't ever buy BLV bulbs

MikeG

Non-member
So I had an issue with some bulbs I had bought from a LFS that is no longer in buisness. I had bought a couple BLV 400W SE bulbs and when I tried to use one it burned for an hour then shifted color and went out. There were some white streaks left in the glass and it would not re light.

I had been trying to contact BLV for a couple weeks with no luch to see if they could replace it and finally got a response from a Ushio Rep in CA today. After submitting so many inquaries to BLV they finally forwarded on to Ushio and I did not expect what I was told.

Turns out BLV has no authorized distributors in the US and they come in on the grey market with no warranty form BLV or Ushio (Ushio owns BLV). The rep from Ushio in the best interest of the company said he would replace the bulb that wasn't working as well as the one I have been using for the last month with new Ushio bulbs. WOW didn't expect that service!

So to recap never buy BLV bulbs as they are manufactured specifiically for Europe and have no warranty in the USA, and Ushio rocks!!!

you dont hear that everyday.........a positive outcome!:D

I was quite surprised, they could have easily just left it on the LFS which is no longer around and I couldn't be mad at them for that. Definately above and beyond, they have earned my future buisness.

Ushio gave us a NICE donation for BRASS, and the rep I dealt with was absolutely top notch. Glad you had a good outcome...

Thats good to hear. I had a similar exp, with a rep over a bulb for a UV sterilizer today. It was 3mos old, and had a 30day warr. They said they would replace it no problem, they didnt even want to see the old one. I am in the service industry, and try to provide good service, so I expect it but dont always get it. When you deal with companies like these its always nice when they go the distance for you. I also had good luck dealing with Ecotech today as well.

ok, After reading this I am going to get some ushio 250w HQI bulbs.

I was debating what brand to get and they were on the list, but now that I see they have good support I am sold.

Now where to get them.....

Back