I've got it covered! Well actually I don't! - Opinions on mesh covers please

scavdog

Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
Well folks, I can say that I have very rarely kept a cover on my tank over the years. I can honestly count on one hand how many fish I've managed to lose.

So yesterday I come home from work and my family surprised me with a Mystery Wrasse and an Aurora Goby from an LFS. We were intending on a goby/shrimp combo. The goby did backflip out of the tank last night and it ripped my heart out - my 4 year old is learning the hard way :( .

Anyhow I was looking at the red sea customizable cover here . I have seen others on Bulk Reef. What is everyone using?

It's a 60cube 24x24x24 custom rimless. However, I should have mentioned that I will need to cut around my MM weir and the Xr30 mount, so custom is probably the easiest way.

I had these guys make me one for my reefer 350. You give them all your measurements and they’ll make it and ship it out to you. As lids go, I think these look the best and they fit nice and snug. I did have a fire fish jump through the lid once but other than that no issues.

Sorry for the fish but remember, mystery wrasses aren’t super friendly to like size/shape fish, be careful with it.

Sorry for the fish but remember, mystery wrasses aren’t super friendly to like size/shape fish, be careful with it

I agree. My money was on the Goby. I hate being right.
Joe I use a D&D Aquariums diy kit, from the reviews this seemed the best option without going full custom. Works great and is recessed so you do my see it. Now only if I keep it on the tank now
I will look into the D&D. The Red Sea product seemed like it was pretty slick as well. I have a feeling it is one or the other.

I used the 1/4" DIY from Bulk Reef. Was easy to assemble. I got clips from Amazon. Works for me.

Measure twice, cut once.

Good luck.
What kind of materials did the BRS version supply? The redsea seems like it's an aluminum frame. I like the idea that it has some weight to it.

Thx again!

Joe

The advantage of the red sea version is that the frame is black. Unless they have changed suppliers since I ordered mine, the frame on my BRS one was like dark bronze. Doesn't REALLY matter, but for the type A among us.. (myself included). I think the Red sea version is supposedly a bit more sturdy, too.

BRS is aluminum window screen frame, just like you would find at lowes.

I'm sure you already know this, but the mystery wrasse is also a super jumper. It's probably worth it to find the fastest possible solution and then sort out aesthetics later.

Frame is aluminum. It seems light. I would not call it heavy by any means, but I don't think a jumping fish would dislodge it. But I have a small tank and will have small fish.

I use this, the spine is really rugged and the wave maker wires have corner access. I have no weir on my 100EXT. Sits flush on tank edge.
1639600506527.png

I initially used the red sea kit had a hard time getting their pieces to fit right around my overflow and lighting brackets. Just not enough space for the elbows where they needed to be. In the end, after ordering netting and more extension pieces, and spline etc multiple times, I ordered from Clearview. I’ve had to make some light modifications since getting newer light brackets. I’ve heard my yellow Coris wrasse bounce off of it several times so it’s doing its job.
A69CFA73-A78A-4B6C-ABE0-49BE8AC6A132.jpeg

Last edited:
I use the D-D jump guard on a standard 75 it works well (this is my second one), has kept everyone in the tank. like @BiGGiePauls33 I like that it's recessed also, the corners can be nipped to accommodate cords and the newer version comes with cutouts for light mounts. Also it's black and you cut it yourself so mine is really snug. I love the idea of the clearview lid but couldn't justify the cost.

The advantage of the red sea version is that the frame is black. Unless they have changed suppliers since I ordered mine, the frame on my BRS one was like dark bronze. Doesn't REALLY matter, but for the type A among us.. (myself included). I think the Red sea version is supposedly a bit more sturdy, too.

BRS is aluminum window screen frame, just like you would find at lowes.

I'm sure you already know this, but the mystery wrasse is also a super jumper. It's probably worth it to find the fastest possible solution and then sort out aesthetics later.
Oh I know. I showed up and the fam was like: "surprise! I hope you like them" ... all the while I was thinking "danger danger danger... keep your mouth shut and smile :p"

Oh I know. I showed up and the fam was like: "surprise! I hope you like them" ... all the while I was thinking "danger danger danger... keep your mouth shut and smile :p"
Best part is she knew enough to ask all the right questions and the guy at the LFS said they would not jump.

Back