Dream fish store!

Bigbpro916

Non-member
What does everyone look for in their LFS? What would you like to see? What would be a dream store be? Just a fun topic for the winter night :) Stay safe everyone!

Clean tanks
Down to earth and friendly staff
Awesome selection of corals/fish
One dedicated tank on its own system for just SPS frags/colonies
Obviously competitively priced too!

Two weeks guarantee for saltwater fish. So I don't have to mail order them from liveaquaria.

Two weeks guarantee for saltwater fish. So I don't have to mail order them from liveaquaria.

I think we would all expect everything in the first post or we would not shop their for anything.

A warranty and I would never order online. Even if I had to pay 15-20% more

I love the gear aspect of the hobby. Just looking at all of the different pumps, skimmers, lights, you name it. I could spend hours looking at that stuff!!

I love the gear aspect of the hobby. Just looking at all of the different pumps, skimmers, lights, you name it. I could spend hours looking at that stuff!!

Same here, love all the new technology that goes along with it! Also love me some great sps displays!

As a buyer, I would appreciate posted parameters including any meds/chems currently used on each tank.

Actually, posted parameters would be awesome. That's a great idea.

The other thing I'd love to see is stores that had a QT systems made up of small, individually filtered tanks where you could rent space to QT newly bought fish/inverts/corals. Almost like a storage locker. Its a pie in the sky kinda idea, but I know I'd pay a premium for this as a service. Probably not super economical to run/maintain but a huge value to hobbyists who have reasons for not having their own QT setups.

Actually, posted parameters would be awesome. That's a great idea.

The other thing I'd love to see is stores that had a QT systems made up of small, individually filtered tanks where you could rent space to QT newly bought fish/inverts/corals. Almost like a storage locker. Its a pie in the sky kinda idea, but I know I'd pay a premium for this as a service. Probably not super economical to run/maintain but a huge value to hobbyists who have reasons for not having their own QT setups.

That is a great idea!

Let me ask everyone this, would we all pay 30 percent more if the store quarenteen the fish for 1 month?

Guesing this is what it would cost?

My gut feeling is that the trip for the fish is a very difficult one and that lfs take modest hits

No they may not, but there is a cost incurred, likely a 30 percent Mark up, would the majority of the consumers pay for that?

No they may not, but there is a cost incurred, likely a 30 percent Mark up, would the majority of the consumers pay for that?

Probably not the majority but the smart ones would. I'd have the customer decide what they would like to do...leave the fish and get a warranty or take it home right away with no warranty.

Probably not the majority but the smart ones would. I'd have the customer decide what they would like to do...leave the fish and get a warranty or take it home right away with no warranty.

Maybe with a water sample, could be doable. I wouldn't keep replacing customer fish, if their toilet had better water quality

Last edited:
Just my opinion, QT fish at store seems not very logical. For example, fish comes and go and the tanks will be infested with all kinds of bugs and parasites. You can't sterilize the tank after each fish go through it. You can't QT multiple fish for multiple customers in the same tank. Also, if the QT tank is not a matured tank, it only add to the stress of the fish and cause it to get sick. The most important part: two week is too short for any real QT process, lets say 1 month will be more likely if really want to QT fish.

FWIW - I did say it was a pie in the sky sort of idea. That being said - since it turned into a bit of discussion, I don't think its impossible, far from it. Sterilizing the tanks between use would not be that big of a deal assuming that the QT 'system' as a whole was modular. Really no different than home a home QT tank is or should be sterilized after use...(think rows of small modular tanks). As far as establishing a bio filter, couple options here, hobbyist could provide a piece of LR or two for this purpose or LFS could use some rubble (This comes with some risks, but not all that different from the risks that home users go through).

I would venture a guess that there are LFS outside of this area that offer this service and I know for a fact some local aquarium maintenance companies offer it as a service to their customers with good success. But, all of that being said, as the topic said this is your 'dream' LFS, not necessarily reality or what may happen. I'm just saying its a service I'd be willing to pay a premium for.

aquarium maintenance companies charge arms and legs to house customers' fish that the customer already own. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy all those fish all over again.

But after all, holding a fish at the store has it own advantage, you can see if the fish can survive the stress from shipping.
But not much for ich prevention.

Back