Dual BRS GFO/Carbon reactor questions

mickeyfinn

Non-member
I just got my new dual BRS CFO/Carbon reactor and have a few questions.

How much GFO should I add for roughly 40-45 gallons of water?

Like a knuckle head I didn't order carbon with my order to BRS, is there any local stores that carry carbon that I could run in the carbon chamber until I get some from BRS. I've been using Sea Chem Pro Carb pellets in a media bag every now and then, will that be OK for a while?

Does anyone use media bags for carbon? or just run it in the chamber with the supplied foam discs?

Thanks,
Mike

Brs has instructions on their web site. I use the GFO Pellets. There are instructions on the back of the bag too. Says 1 tablespoon per 4 gallons. After 4-8 weeks use 2 tablespoons per 4 gallons.

Make sure you ramp up gfo use slowly, or you can get RTN on your corals

Brs has instructions on their web site. I use the GFO Pellets. There are instructions on the back of the bag too. Says 1 tablespoon per 4 gallons. After 4-8 weeks use 2 tablespoons per 4 gallons.

OK, Thanks, I didn't see that.

Hows the GFO/Carbon reactor working ? I watch the vidio a couple of times , they look like a nice setup

Didn't you see in in my basement:p? I like their setup, previous to their reactor I was using a Two Little Fishy reactor which IMO is a bugger to change the media in.

I'm hoping to add this setup to mine after 2-3 other upgrades :p I keep looking at their video :D

We've had ours up and running for about 2 weeks now. Cant say that I can see any difference yet - cuz I cant. But we are running it slow. We have about 220g of circulating water. We only added about 1" of GFO to the GFO chamber, and then added all carbon pellets in the second chamber. We are running the water through it slowly - just so there is a bare "rumble" of GFO in the chamber. We were told to use this amount (1 inch) of GFO over the first few water changes, and then slowly increase the amount of GFO in the chamber.

So far, we havent noticed any RTN, nor any decrease in algae....

Andrew

I might get the single. I was thinking about GFO but it looks like it gets costly fast. Anyone know how often you have to change out GFO?

I believe BRS says to change the GFO every 4-6 weeks? Don't quote me on that though.

Does anyone know if you can keep running it if you are not seeing any algae and getting 0 phosphate readings? I would think that if you are not seeing any algae and getting low readings then it hasn't started to leach back in to the water.

Also, if you are not seeing any algea why would you need to increase the amount of GFO you are running. I know it says to increase it after 4-8 weeks. Since the stuff is so expensive it would make sense to run as little as possible or is there some other benefit I don't know about?

I was thinking of a dual for my 210 , I know it hold plenty enough GFO but does it hold enough carbon to work right on 210 gallon

My system is ~450 gallons. I was using a 2 little fishies reactor that was 90% full, but stopped after a GFO change basically wiped out my whole frag tank in an RTN incident. For now, I'm just running carbon, and 24 hours for the photoperiod on my fuge.

Back