Dumb question about Blood and Skunk shrimp...

higorc

Call me IGOR :)
I can't believe I'm asking this question. I my self think I have gone crazy asking it, but... Has anyone ever heard or seen a Skunk cleaner shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) turn into a Fire/Blood shrimp (Lysmata debelius)? Stupid/crazy I know, but here is my dilemma;

I have had a pair of Skunks and 1 Blood shrimp for over a year now. A couple of months back one of the Skunks died, so I was left with 1 Skunk and 1 Blood shrimp. Now a few months later, there are 2 Blood shrimps and no Skunk anywhere!!!

I just noticed this past weekend doing a big water change/maintenance to the tank/sump/system. I feel out of my mind asking this, but I just don't know what happened... It feels really dumb researching about this, but I haven't been able to find anything on this issue online. I can't put together a scenerio where I introduced an extra Blood shrimp to my system. I haven't added anything in at least 8 months at this point...

I just don't know man :confused:

Higor

i dont think that could happen as they are 2 different speciese of shrimp. in the past did you buy live rock off of someone that had one? if so it could of came on the rock and just been hidden away for a while till now. or did you buy one before the current one and just thought it might have died?

i dont think that could happen as they are 2 different speciese of shrimp. in the past did you buy live rock off of someone that had one? if so it could of came on the rock and just been hidden away for a while till now. or did you buy one before the current one and just thought it might have died?

I am with you on it can't happen. Just double checking...

No new rock, no new live stock, nothing new. Never Bought 2 Blood shrimp, they usually don't get along with each other. The Blood shrimp aren't babies either, one I recognize and the other seems to be an adult but a little bit smaller.

Your wife probably like the blood shrimp and bought one without you knowing.
The blood shrimps are more chubby and stubby than a cleaner shrimp.

This is like a chicken got lonely and turn into a Turkey to be with the other Turkey

Reflection of the shrimp on the glass and you "thought" you saw 2 ? Couple that with too many brews and I think we have a winner lol

REFLECTIONS.... like the picture contest...was it near the glass when you saw it ?

Just Kidding :) .

Ps: men the previous post was faster the me writing in than phone....jajaja

Last edited:
Usually when something like this happens, you have to question the original premise.

If you have two blood shrimps and a cleaner shrimp, and one shrimp died, and now you have two blood shrimps - it was the cleaner shrimp who died. Maybe some blood shrimp molt happening around the same time the cleaner shrimp died was confusing.

Are you sure you tossed a dead shrimp and not a molt? just a thought. Or what wpeterson said while I was typing this.

Last edited:
Back