Encrusting monti, Hey Bec do you have this one?

One Eye

former vp of pr
This one likes lower light. It's a cream color with intense light blue purplish polyps. The pic does the blue no justice at all. Not even close.

Attachments

• 2003_0828seahares0086 (Custom).JPG
    2003_0828seahares0086 (Custom).JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 355
nice!

It is reminescent of the one I have but mine is a neon yellow with purple polyps. Can you get some more shots Darren?

I'll try cleaning my glass :) and useing the tripod. It's in a tuff spot to get a decent pic.

I don't know if it's any better but it's the best I could get.

Attachments

• 2003_0828macro0296 (Custom).JPG
    2003_0828macro0296 (Custom).JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 323
Hey Darren! I just heard you were looking for me.
Very nice coral you have there with great polyps extension.

That looks like M. peltiformis, which also sounds like what Lam has.
Mine is yellow, like Lam's and has super bright blue/purple polyps... seems to
enjoy bright lighting, at the bottom of the tank, with good flow. If yougive yours a bit more light, you may see even more incredible color when/if the base flesh turns a rich golden yellow.

I'll see if I can get a decent shot of mine... but I still don't know how to post photos on this forum. I was just getting good at the other one when everyone jumped ship.
Maybe Lam can post his. Hey Lam, what conditions does yours enjoy... and does it seem to be very sensitive to changes in the tank? Mine sure is.

b

I'll try moving mine out a little. I picked it up at Plymouth Pet. They're about an hour north of me, so it wopuld be a haul for you guys. They have a pretty nice selection and the tanks are very clean. It was a pale white when I bought it and the polyps showed some blue but it has been really coloring up in the past couple weeks....must be the magnesium supplement :) I also bought a German blue polyped digi. So far I'm not real impressed with the digi. It does have blue polyps but the brown flesh is pretty boring.

One Eye said:
I also bought a German blue polyped digi. So far I'm not real impressed with the digi. It does have blue polyps but the brown flesh is pretty boring.
Darren is this the same one?

PurplepolypDigitata-2004_0401.jpg

Its an older pic and has purpler polyps now and the body is a creamy white. Also the tips are a bit yellow when its happy.
Maybe you could move it next to the diff coloerd digi's you have all growing together. That would look good.

reefnroll said:
Hey Darren! I just heard you were looking for me.
Very nice coral you have there with great polyps extension.

That looks like M. peltiformis, which also sounds like what Lam has.
Mine is yellow, like Lam's and has super bright blue/purple polyps... seems to
enjoy bright lighting, at the bottom of the tank, with good flow. If yougive yours a bit more light, you may see even more incredible color when/if the base flesh turns a rich golden yellow.

I'll see if I can get a decent shot of mine... but I still don't know how to post photos on this forum. I was just getting good at the other one when everyone jumped ship.
Maybe Lam can post his. Hey Lam, what conditions does yours enjoy... and does it seem to be very sensitive to changes in the tank? Mine sure is.

b

Nice pictures as always Darren.

Bec, I thought it might be the same. I also recommend higher lighting. When I tried it at lower lightings, it turned brown/paler and the neon yellow definately disappeared. Recently, I tried more flow. It's in one of the best flow spots in my tank right now so I hope it'll be happier.

I was waiting for more posts since I am also curious on placement. I agree it is very sensitive to change. Not a very fast grower in my tank which unfortunately is still unstable. I recently put new dry/bleached rock into my system. A couple of sensitive corals responded and this was one of them. It browned out again :(.

I haven't been able to get decent shots so excuse this rookie photographer.

Here's a frag pic from 3/12/03

Attachments

• encrusting montipora.jpg
    encrusting montipora.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 257
Here's a pic from 6/22/04. I won't even bother taking a pic of it's current browned out state from my recent aquascaping 2 weeks ago.

I have never been able to reduplicate the original colors. Any other advice?

Attachments

• s 1.jpg
    s 1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 259
Bill here's a pic of the German blue polyp. It is up with the other digis :p

Attachments

• 2003_0828macro0059 (Custom).JPG
    2003_0828macro0059 (Custom).JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 270
Lam, is that pic accurate? The polyps on mine are really BLUE...like electric blue. But it could just be from acclimating to the tank. The German blue digi had no blue at all and now, several weeks later is showing some blue. The encrusting monti only showed very faint blue polyps and now , to quote something you'd see on reefermadness it has screaming blue polyps. I guess what I'm getting at is the color may faid a little after it is completely settled in....I hope not...but?

Hey guys.. nice shots.

Lam - That's the one. I'm afraid I have no good news for you as far as stablility goes. That coral loses color pretty much faster than anything in my tank, and unfortunately... is the very slowest to get back to brilliance. I do think that it prefers more flow than less, and more light than less... but all at the bottom of the tank (in my experience). I run 250/10K metal halides, and I have mine right on the sand at the front of the tank. The output from one of the loop returns hits the glass just above the coral and the water washes over it. The coral seems to enjoy this spot... so I do all I can not to disturb it. Every time I do, it fades for a while. Yes... slow grower also, which I don't mind at all.

As for color... Darren. Mine is also more blue than purple (polyps). I would guess that Lam's second shot is maybe a little off... but you know how these colors are hard to capture. The tank parameters probably have a great deal to do with the exact hue of the flesh versus the polyps... as with any other coral. I say be happy with the very blue polyps you're seeing right now and get it into slightly more light to pull up the flesh from tan to more yellow! But also don't be alarmed if it fades on you from time to time if something changes in your tank. It'll come back, but it takes a while.

If I knew how to post shots on this forum, I would add a look at mine. I've had mine for aabout 21/2 years now.

b

Actually, the colors you see are very representative of the colors I see. The polyps have always appeared purple to me. Whether this is the same coral or not might explain the color differences. If the true color is screaming blue, I hope some day mine will change to that color. I've always kept it very close to the top. That also might account for the color difference. The colors you see in the second picture is faded but true. It's an example of what can happen if it's disturbed.

I need corals on the bottom to balance the top. I'll be ecstatic if the colors remain on the bottom. Thanks for the advice, I'll try it!

Bec, just attach the resized image. It's better to just attach one picture per post.

When you reply to a post, go to the bottom of the page where it gives you Additional Options

Click the button that says Manage Attachments

Let me know if you want more help.

o.k... I'm tryin' this again.

Why does it always come down to those who can post images, and those who cannot? I had finally entered the latter category on the other board... and now this. Ugh. It's humiliating.

Here it goes.

b

Attachments

• bluyelmonti.jpg
    bluyelmonti.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 204
Oh... well hey! There it is!

Thanks Lam! Thanks Marvin for cheerleading!

I think I 'thought' I didn't know how to do it because when I previewed the post, the shot never showed up. On the RC forum, the image shows up in the preview as well... so you know you've done it right. Whenever I have tried to post and the shot didn't preview, I just nixed the post altogether.

Well... since that one worked, here's a macro... just for Darren :)

b

Attachments

• bluyelmontidetail.jpg
    bluyelmontidetail.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 217
Back