Experiences with Coral Banded Shrimp

Armando

v 4.0
I've been reading threads on RC about Coral Banded Shrimp. A lot of people saying they kill any other shrimp, bother fish and only come out at night.

I got a nice blue one last month and since then I've seen him only once. He is in the main tank so am I doomed now? I will not be able to get a cleaner shrimp now? Curious to know about other people's experiences with CBS.

I had a very large CBS, 2 smaller cleaner shrimp, 1 large peppermint + several smaller peppermint, plus quite a few emerald crabs, lots of hermits in my 125g. CBS would threaten the other shrimp, but the only one he killed was another CBS. I bought them both together - didn't know they would fight to the death unless a mated pair

I've had a cbs for 2 years without any problems. During that time I also had blood shirmp and cleaner shirmp. They all got along fine but they do know cbs is the boss in their shirmp world.

Then I treated my tank for the red bug and they all died, but thats another story.

My cb is fine in a 46 I have 1 cb 4 Peppermints (2 soon to go into the 30 that is set up now) and a few crabs and such no problems. At one time I made the mistake of getting 2 cb's now I only have 1 and they will fight/kill till there is only 1.

I have never had a problem with a CBS.

The one that I have now keeps to itself. Wanders the tank all night; occasionally when the lights are on. The only thing that I have seen it bother is my hand when I feed corals in the morning.

i am also wondering what he is eating. i put silversides on the tank but it remains untouched for days until I remove it.

Last edited:
I feed mine occasionally with whatever I feed my fish (squid, shrimp, pellets, etc)

Otherwise, it just pokes around the sand and rocks like any other scavenger. It seems to love small bristleworms.

I got a huge one that I've had for almost 2yrs and he doesn't bother any other shrimp in the tank. I got peps, skunk cleaners and blood red....he does have his own area that no one messes with tho. It gets fed with the rest of the tank....when he is real hungry, he comes out and shows himself.

I have a CBS with a Blood and a Cleaner shrimp, he has never been a problem. I did see him one day however trying to grab my Dottyback as it went by.

Jim

I have one and my other shrimp are disapearing. about 6 peps down to 1 and 2 skunks down to 1 :( Never thought it might be the cbs

My CBS was nocturnal, but he was visible during the day, not really hiding in a cave. I could always see him, and they are really cool looking.
Armando...post a pic of the blue one.
I knew there were red/white & the a gold one...but blue?

IMO, a lot of people have an all or nothing opinion on a lot of reef critters. If there is not ZERO chance that the critter will cause problems with ANYTHING then they say...'oh, those are known kill XY and Z. Poppycock! (same goes for small hermit crabs, BTW)

I've kept CB shrimp for years and years in fullblow reefs with a wide variety of different critters. I had a mated pair for about 2 years once. It was cool to watch the male help catch food and hand it to the female. It was also cool to watch the female climb to the top of the reef once per month after dark and release her 100's of young.

Yes, these shrimp can sometimes take food out of the mouth of an LPS coral that you are feeding. They will not typically do any damage in the process. Yes, these shrimp can sometimes catch very small, or sick fish. I doubt it would catch any fish that wasn't having a problem. I once introduced a dwarf pipefish to a tank and it was a little disoriented. As bad luck would have it the fish happened to drift straight into the waiting arms of the CB shrimp. Before I could get the fish away, the shrimp had taken a bite of vital organs.

The shrimp will usually eat any food that comes near it. They are somewhat reclusive, but will come out in the light also. They can find some things to eat on their own (worms, etc.), but IMO it's a good idea to make sure they get a bit of prepared food as well. They like to hang out under overhangs. IMO a very cool critter for a reef tank, and easy to keep. FWIW this species is present around the entire planet in tropical areas.

Awesome responses!

Scuba, I won't be able to take a pic of mine blue CBS, but they look like this:

Attachments

• 43734105_0534__Small_.jpg
    43734105_0534__Small_.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 196
I should of figured Armando would get a blue one. I'm still waiting on my tank to stabilize before I re-add cleanup crew, crabs, shrimp, etc :(

The CBS I put in my tank lost both its claws in 10 minutes and was dead in a day. It picked a fight with just about everything it ran into, and it just couldn't hold it's own against the pistol shrimp, fire shrimp, and porcelain crabs. Too bad it was so high strung - it was really cool looking...

I don't know if mine is the source of my cleanup crew dissapearance, but I think I'll try to remove him. I never see him anyway. Any ideas short of spearfishing?

Back