Fellow reefers,

Quadman2004

BRS Member
Looking for solutions for cleaning a power head. I have one that I can't get the calcium buildup out so it runs. I've soaked it in vinegar for 2days and still no luck. Never had this happen before. I don't want to damage the impeller. Any suggestions? Tia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I have stubborn coraline on the pump, I take a razor black and scrape it off. If it's really thick, I use a flat head screw driver and scrape it.
The pump should be tough enough to handle the scrape.

Something to remember with vinegar as well, it loses it power quickly when trying to dissolve a lot of calcium build up. I would try vinegar again, but keep an eye on it. Change it out every so often so as to keep it strong and working.

I use my vinegar over and over again to clean my pumps. I've never had a problem with it not dissolving Coraline/calcium deposit

I throw my pumps in my vinegar bucket next to my tank let them run from 30minute or so scrub them clean. Then rinse and run them in clean water before putting them back in the tank. Then run the vinegar through filter and back into the bucket.

Is the impeller swollen at all?

Last edited:
So you let the pumps run in the vinegar for 30mins or so? I've never tried that but sounds like a great idea.

Impeller isn't swollen at all. I'll try your suggestion later. Thanks!

What type of power head? Is the shaft moving freely in the magnet, or is it stuck? (designs vary, not all should move freely, but some should and if the shaft is frozen sometimes the vinegar will have a hard time penetrating in enough to free the shaft up without some help)

It's a jebao rw8. I finally got it apart. It was frozen solid. All well in the world again.

So you let the pumps run in the vinegar for 30mins or so? I've never tried that but sounds like a great idea.

Yup that is what I do just drop them in and let them run. Works like a charm. Of course not so much if they do not run to begin with.

Glad you go it apart with no damage

Back