finally got it running!

Wunluv82

Non-member
So we finally filled the 90 gallon and sump and turned the pump on. So exciting! But now I realize that we have no idea what it is supposed to look/move like. The water is moving extremely fast and waterfalling like crazy down the corner overflow. Its really loud too. Is that a good thing? Is our pump too strong or something?

what size pump r you running? what is the GPH? One or two overflows ? Do you have an overflow kit on it? the durso pipe will help with the noise as long as it is adjusted right & also the pump is not too strong.

as a rule...if it is a mega flow overflow it is rated at 600 gph....if your running more than that thru it with the pump your using it is too much..if the pump is pressure rated u can plumb a ball or gate valve into the return side to cut down the pressure going back into the tank...if not pressure rated & rated over 600gph...u will need to get another pump.
HTH,
B

oh the noise of a newly set up tank...brings back memories of a long time ago!!!!

I don't know about the overflow details cuz I bought the tank off a fellow Boston reefer. But it is in one corner and has 2 holes. Is that a dual? My pump is a Rio Hyperflo 20Hf. Looks like, according to the chart on the box, about 990 Gph with the length of our tubing. Thx for the help!

Kool glad you are all set so far.Sounds like you need a durso pipe in the overflow.Congratulations on the set up where are the pics

Soon as we get a ball valve and the sand settles (I added more, man it takes a while!) Ill post a pic. Thanks! :)

The 2 holes in the overflow are the supply and return to the sump 1 should be the overflow durso standpipe and the other should be the return from the sump it should be piped so the return is at the top and most of us use a lockline Y for flow back into the tank. Here is a pic of what it should look like.

Attachments

• allglassoverflowkit_6956.jpg
    allglassoverflowkit_6956.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,292
Ahhh I see! Thanks that's so helpful! We were thinking it would be able to handle more water flow if we used both holes to drain so we drilled a new one for the return. Would it be ok to put 2 durso pipes in the overflow?

I run dual durso pipes on our 40 breeder.One pipe is an inch taller to the input so it is used for only about 20% of the overall flow

Back