First Dowflake, now Magnesium...too cool - GROUP BUY FOR NOV MEETING

Jeff, I can take a bunch down to the meeting.
I'd like to pick 'em up on Friday night, though. I hate mornings.

moe, i have no problem taking as many that need to go to the meeting there. We are just trying to narrow it down to who wants them at the meeting, who wants them here and who wants them at gregs house so we can get them split up and to the right places.

And rob said he would get some and bring them to his place if people wanted to get them there too
Jeff

Randy,

Since I don't have any of it yet I cannot test it. I agree it is a concern, and that folks should not add too much all at once. As long as people do not add too much at once, the nitrifying bacteria in our systems should process any ammonia quickly to nitrate or nitrogen.

FWIW, the magnesium supplement that I made up using the Nigari magnesium chloride did not cause any problems in the tanks that I used it in, and I used it rather liberally. I did not check for ammonia in that, but I just mixed up the last bit of that, so I could. Of course I haven't checked for ammonia in about 5 years, so I doubt I have a test kit that still functions!

I realize the Nigari grade might be different, but I would suspect that the grade we are getting in this buy is likely of higher purity. Of course that still doesn't necessarily answer the quesiton of ammonia.

Good news and bad news:

Bad news first, the bags are going to cost $19.00 each.

Good news (I suppose) - each bag will contain an additional 10% of magnesium chloride, or 55 lbs instead of 50 lbs.

This is all due to the fact that the guy at the company that I spoke to did not understand that the industrial grade magnesium chloride is put into bags at 25 kg/bag (55 lbs). Also, the shipping charges increased from when he gave me the original quote. The original quote was for 48 - 50 lb bags or 2400 lbs, what he sent was 40 - 55 lb bags or 2200 lbs. So the total weight was a bit less, but the shipping was a bit more, so he did not change the original cost of the total shipment (still $760 - what I wrote him a check for).

Group buys like this never go perfectly smoothly. I tried to let several people into the buy even after the buy had already been completed. I hope you guys won't give me too much grief on this, remember, I'm not making a red cent.

So...anyhow, for those people that asked for more than one bag I may be lopping off a bag off your order. I'm not going to try and rebag this stuff. If anyone ordered an extra bag to help out early with the order, I appreciate it, and you might want to make the extra available for other folks.

If we need to in the future we can always do this again (though I'll try to get someone else to organize, lol).

Greg, I ordered 1 bag and said that I would take 2 if you needed me to. Just put me down for 1 bag and give the other to someone else.

Mike

I still havn't found anyone north of wakefield. Anyone picking up bags who might go to Aqua Addicts in the near future?

that folks should not add too much all at once. As long as people do not add too much at once, the nitrifying bacteria in our systems should process any ammonia quickly to nitrate or nitrogen.

I agree. Perhaps once we get it, someone can test it and see if boosting Mg++ from 1000 to 1300 ppm in one shot is a problem or not. :)

The new phone books are here, the new phone books are here!

I mean the Magnesium is here, the Magnesium is here!

Funny story. The trucker asked what it was for, his guess was construstion of some sort.. After I told him, he tells me he has a 54 gallon corner tank FOWLR. We got talking tanks and he came in and saw mine.. I told him about the club and about aqua addicts since he lives in methuen and has been shopping pet club mostly.

I have another 120 gallon tank I just set up and I know the mag is low, I will test it in this tank for everyone. The only thing in it is live rock and a yellow tang

Update: Marvin took 20 of the bags tonight and is heading to Gregs with them in the AM. I will keep 5 bags here for pickup. The remaining 15 bags I will bring to the meeting.

Jeff

Jeff, I would like to pick up my bag at your place. It will probably be on my way home from work on whatever night is good for you.

Thank you

stang8s said:
The new phone books are here, the new phone books are here!

How do you remember stuff like this? I recall their origin when you say them but they never occur to me when Im typing :D

Between you and Karl, I cant tell who's head is full of more obscure references :)

MickyB,

Thanks, that will free up some bags.

I believe you said you'd pick up at Jeff's place.

I have most of the bags at my house, rather than emailing everybody again, could you folks that wanted to pick up at my place just email me (mag group buy at greghiller.com) regarding when you might be able to pick up. Best times for me are after 8:30 PM most nights, but mid-day on the weekends is also okay. Remember the bags are $19/each.

Back