Fish room and rust/other metal items

rusty18

Non-member
This is not particular to those with a fish room but those who have appliances and metal objects near their tanks; here is where my question stems:
If I were to set up an enclosed fish room it would be about 10' x 10' it would have to double as storage for some stuff and will also have my W/D because that’s where the hook ups are.
Does anyone else have items like this in there fish room and have they run into any rust issues?
My room would have a door and a small basement window, would it be best to run a dehumidifier or will that still let the salt corrode the other metal objects? I could run an exhaust fan out the small 1' x 18" window would that work?
Any feedback or comments would be great, thanks!

I definitely got more rust in the basement when I put my sump down there. It was in a small separate room, with an open doorway, and stuff outside the room got rusty. I think a tank in close proximity to a washer/dryer might cause faster corrosion. An exhaust fan might help. Keeping the tank covered would probably help most, but then you lose the cooling advantages of evaporation in the summer.

everything metal rusted in my fish room, even with a 24/7 exhaust fan. your W/D will get rusty

everything metal rusted in my fish room, even with a 24/7 exhaust fan. your W/D will get rusty

+1

I had tools rust in just a few days in there.Pliers rusted solid.A large square rust so bad the numbers are useless.
I even had a wire wheel on a bench grinder in there that I don't use,and that's rusted.

crap, this is what I was worried about.
If I go with a small sump (50gal tank or so instead of a 100g stock tank) and try to keep most of it covered will that help?

It all depends on how much water volume you will put in the fish room and how much evap you have from that water.

A vent fan and or a humidifier will help allot.

I think you will be fine as long as you don't have a system that losses 5+ gallons a day due to top off. I have set my vent to turn on when my fan over the sump turns on for cooling. This helps take some extra humidity out of the air.

You can always get rust when you have water and metal but if done right it won't be any worse than a typical basement.

My whole system is in the basement, 140g display, 100g sump, 20g frag tank. My washer dryer is about 5 feet from the tank and has not rusted yet and it has been a couple years. I don't see much rust on anything else either. I do run a dehimidifier in that area though.

The area ia probably about 400 sq ft. on that side unfinished and about 400 sq ft on the other side thart is finished. Tank is in wall and both sides have a 70pt dehumidifier. For the first year there was only a dehumidifier on the unfinished side.

Same here. I have an ancient one that came with the house that I'm going to use. But I'd like to get an energy efficient one. I also have a GE portable a/c unit that I plan to keep near the sump. Only problem with it is that I don't see the Energy Star logo on it. :confused: It's a brand new unit, too.

Bump for dehumidifier help.

Is there any sort of formula to determine what size you need based on tank evap, etc.

i have a 70 pint that drains into the laundry drain. i have it set about 1/2 way on the dial and i have no problems with rust. my laundry has been in my fish room for several years now.

Mike: any tips on picking a dehumidifier, this is probably the route I will go.

I just went with the largest they had at the time which was a 70 pint and a 50 pt and the most effecient (energy factor which is L/kwh) I think the one I got is 1.6L/kwh. One is an LG, the other is a Kenmore. The LG I have had to take apart and replace the fan motor once in the 4 years it has been running (only 2 years with a tank down there).

I just went with the largest they had at the time which was a 70 pint and a 50 pt and the most effecient (energy factor which is L/kwh) I think the one I got is 1.6L/kwh. One is an LG, the other is a Kenmore. The LG I have had to take apart and replace the fan motor once in the 4 years it has been running (only 2 years with a tank down there).

+1

I would think the bigger, the better, as long as it isn't an electricity whore. :D

If you can attach a hose that's the way to go.Mine has a nipple for attaching a hose after drilling out the inside diameter into the holding tank.
Then you don't have to worry about it shutting off when the tank gets full.
Mines well over 30 yrs old.The only thing that broke was the shut off switch when the tank filled to the top.

If you can attach a hose that's the way to go.Mine has a nipple for attaching a hose after drilling out the inside diameter into the holding tank.
Then you don't have to worry about it shutting off when the tank gets full.
Mines well over 30 yrs old.The only thing that broke was the shut off switch when the tank filled to the top.

Mine is from the 70's. You may have me beat. :D

Back