Flatworm Exit on Inverts

pvh

Non-member
Anyone have first hand experience on using Flatworm Exit on incoming Inverts? Will this harm the inverts (crabs, snails, shrimps)?

petey pete

i didnt' dip treat anything incoming to my tank instead i treated my entire tank and I lost basically my whole pod population and also some crabs and snails

I don't plan on putting flatworm exit in the tank. Just in the bags the inverts came in. Will this harm them?

If not I might put them in a QT and will the flatworms die from starvation after a month or so? BTW anyone know what flatworms eat?

did they inverts come with the flatworms if they did i probably wouldnt buy them from that source

did they inverts come with the flatworms if they did i probably wouldnt buy them from that source

Peter's prob just trying to be overly careful... It's not like he has a tank he'd like to keep pest free :rolleyes:

I still think Preston is going to do something to that tank when he gets older because you never sing to him Peter :p

I treated my whole tank with Flatworm Exit and didn't lose anything really. That was several years ago, there may even be a thread here about it from way back when.

I believe the only toxicity is really coming from the dead flatworms, and if so, I'd find it hard to believe that there would be enough flatworms hiding in shells or whatnot to actually cause a problem.

My tank was infested with the red bugs many moons ago. I took out each rock and treated it outside of the tank. In the meantime I vac'd out all the worms I could see. Then I treated the main tank. Then I put all the rock back in and treated a second time a few days later after a big water change.

No losses to speak of and no more bugs. I did hear some bad stories from other people, but that's why I believe the flatworms contain the toxins, not the medication.

I treated my whole tank with Flatworm Exit and didn't lose anything really. That was several years ago, there may even be a thread here about it from way back when.

I believe the only toxicity is really coming from the dead flatworms, and if so, I'd find it hard to believe that there would be enough flatworms hiding in shells or whatnot to actually cause a problem.

My tank was infested with the red bugs many moons ago. I took out each rock and treated it outside of the tank. In the meantime I vac'd out all the worms I could see. Then I treated the main tank. Then I put all the rock back in and treated a second time a few days later after a big water change.

No losses to speak of and no more bugs. I did hear some bad stories from other people, but that's why I believe the flatworms contain the toxins, not the medication.

I second that. I treated my tank several months ago. I followed the directions to a T, and didn't lose anything. Including my shrimps. I haven't seen a flatworm since.

I have done a whole tank treatment several times in the past and never had anything dies, just make sure you siphon out as many as you can, do a water change and run as much carbon as you can

Peter's prob just trying to be overly careful... It's not like he has a tank he'd like to keep pest free :rolleyes:

I still think Preston is going to do something to that tank when he gets older because you never sing to him Peter :p

You got it. I can't afford to have any pest in my tanks. :p Better safe than sorry.

I already have a 11 months old bug with me.

from my understanding, its not the actual flat worm exit product that kills inverts, it the mass die-off of the flat worms that release chemicals when they die and decompose causing spikes in ammonia and nitrate (as well as who knows what else) that kill the inverts in ones tank...

i didn't get a mass die off, i didn't have teh brown flatworms that make beds and can get huge populations-I had the white FW that are supposedly harmless. I syphoned out one flat worm and one gallon of water and did the drop test to find out how strong the flat worms were and the proper dripping dosage of fwe to actually kill the flatworms. I had to dose WAY MORE than the regular dosage on the box...that may have been why some inverts in my tank died. On the box the fwe said something like 1 drop per 1 gallon it ended up being alot more like 4 or 5 per gallon if i remember correctly....what inverts pete?

i didn't get a mass die off, i didn't have teh brown flatworms that make beds and can get huge populations-I had the white FW that are supposedly harmless. I syphoned out one flat worm and one gallon of water and did the drop test to find out how strong the flat worms were and the proper dripping dosage of fwe to actually kill the flatworms. I had to dose WAY MORE than the regular dosage on the box...that may have been why some inverts in my tank died. On the box the fwe said something like 1 drop per 1 gallon it ended up being alot more like 4 or 5 per gallon if i remember correctly....what inverts pete?

I want to say I dosed 10x above what the box recommended but defiantly more then 4 or 5 per gallon

from my understanding, its not the actual flat worm exit product that kills inverts, it the mass die-off of the flat worms that release chemicals when they die and decompose causing spikes in ammonia and nitrate (as well as who knows what else) that kill the inverts in ones tank...
once you see those suckers start to die off you gotta start siphoning them out or your ammonia levels will skyrockett. Those little guys are toxic!!

I got hermit crabs, shrimp, and snails. They are in a QT right now. I only did 1 drop per gallon just to be safe. I'll keep watch just to see if there's any.

I've never had a problem with anything dying as a result of FW exit either. I used a whole bottle on approximately 50 gallons a few years back, and didn't notice anything dead. It was a fuge, so it was loaded with pods, bristle worms, hermits, a few snails, a couple of emeralds, and what ever else was in there. Come on Peter, grow a pair and get it over with! :D

Back