Flatworm exit

SeaCilla1212

Non-member
So I got some flat worms from a frag that I bought in put in my display tank. They started out just as a little amount so I got a six line wrasse to help out cuz it wasn't that many. He did the job very well but it was like over night they got out of control and the six line isn't even putting a dent in these things! So clearly it's time for me to do something. They r not bothering my corals at all they aren't even on them they r just all over the glass sand bed and rocks. They aren't bothering anything but they r just so ugly that I want them gone I'm tired of looking at them. But I've heard horror stories about flat worm exit basically killing everything in people's tanks. I've never used it before and I was wondering if anyone could give me some feed back on their experiences with it? Also if u could give me a walk through on how to use it and how much of a water change to do after and stuff. Thanx in advance!

I cant offer much in the way of a walkthrough having never used it, but the general practice is to siphon as many as possible out while doing a water change. The more you get out the better. Its not the flatworm exit that is the problem, its the amount of dead flatworms that would be basically organic waste. Can cause a spike in your params which can cause issues. Your tank is young so that spike is exacerbated by an immature biological filter.

I know it will kill TANGs. No the flatworm toxin is NOT the culprit that killed my tangs, the Flatworm Exit did. I treat my 120 at barely 2 times the recommended dosage, immediately the tangs act eradically as i was dosing the stuff. so if i were you i would remove the tangs if you have any. I suspect wrasse might be the victim too so take them out.

the anemones, such as gigantea carpets, all shrunk but opened the next day, but they are internally damaged. they went on the decline from that point on and i had to treat them to bring them back, i was extremely lucky to have saved my highly prized giganteas. everything in the tank IMMEDIATELY shrunk and react to the medicine as i was dosing. the only fatality are the tangs.

did i say everyt8ing react immediately as i was dosing?

as for flatworm, they die but it takes at least 30+++ mins. i would have waited 4 hours.

here are my procedure: first and foremost, vacumm out every flatworm I can see. And while all the circulation still goiing, I

1) Dose
2Wait for an x-number of minutes, for me next time i would wait for hours. i have too much delicate stuff so i only waited about 30 min to 1 hour.
3) suck out dead worms, suck out dead worms, suck out dead worms, suck out more dead worms. i use 1/4 hose or 3/8 in hose to remove the dead worm because i want slow water removal rate to maximize the dead warm removal.
4) replace water that i removed.
Run carbon
5) the next morning, do another 25% water change
monitor, do more WC as need, 25% is max
the above is what i did.

ive said before, I have flatworms. They come and go. They will eat what is feeding them and disappear. Maybe check your maintenance routine? How much you are feeding? Blow the detritus off the rocks before doing a water change?

I had them in my 28 nano. They were all over the glass. But they never bothered me. Looked at them more like a part of the CUC.

I HAVE A FRAG TANK BY THE WAY THAT HAS ALL THE FRAGS IM SELLING IN IT!! Don't want anyone thinking the frags I'm selling r coming out of my tank with the flat worms. I have four tanks!! Thanx.

find what they are eating and make some traps

the problem is that they have a plentiful source of food to sustain such an explosive population

this may also be an opportunity to get a nice nudibranch some of the nice ones eat flat worms

Chances are we are talking about photosynthetic flatworms here.

Dumb suggestion from an observation black out the tank but leave 1 spot with a little light(like a spot light) suck alot of them out

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

I have had to do multiple treatments as they kept coming back. My procedure is similar to what has been described above. I have used up to 4X concentration with no ill effect. I have found that doing a treatment (and all that follows) and then waiting a week for another treatment works pretty well. It can't be stressed enough that you need to suck as many out as you can before treatment and during treatment when they start dying.
The one bad experience I had was when I was lazy about sucking them as they were dying and I ended up losing a few corals. I suspect is was from a parameter shift, but it could have been from the toxins. There where a bunch flying around the tank that time.
Also it is a good idea to boost circulation in the tank as much as you can so the flow to any dead spots in the tank is good. The hopefully last treatment I did, I added 2 spare circulation pumps to the tank and I feel it was much more effective, since I haven't seen any flatworms in 6 months.

Back