flatworm exit

Takara

Non-member
spotted a few on some rocks and Im thinking I should just bite the bullet and use it early rather than chance it getting out of hand

I recently started vodka dosing which I hear will eventually starve them out but I don't see the point in waiting?

anyone not agree?

Its not the flatworm exit that hurts its the toxins the flatworms release when they die.

Siphon out as many as you can see, dose the FW exit, siphon out any that appear as they die and have a 25% water change ready.

I've always thought that whatever kills the flatworms, also has an adverse effect on microfuana and some inverts?
Carbon should also help with minimizing the amount of toxins

Its not the flatworm exit that hurts its the toxins the flatworms release when they die.

Siphon out as many as you can see, dose the FW exit, siphon out any that appear as they die and have a 25% water change ready.

if you have a holding tank for corals etc.. i would transfer most of your things to there and use flatworm exit. thats what my buddy did... also kills off bristle worms he said

Im currently battling a bad fw infestation as well. I think buyiing livestock to kill them is hit or miss.. I recently got a christmas wrasse that would supposedly go to town on them but havent seen him do much at all.

I read online peppermint shrimp have eaten them so I may try that next... Im waiting to use fw exit as a last resort because im sure the die off will be huge in my tank. ughh..

I already own a 6line, I just hear good things about the FWexit, Im not a fan of chemicals, but I'd rather just nip the problem now, rather than pay it forward like someone did to me.

A word of caution, if you think there are say, 100 flatworms in the tank, it is safe to assume there are 1000. I have an infestation, but they aren't harming the corals. I have a 6 line wrasse, & 2 peppermint that aren't interested. They might be, if I didn't already feed the tank. From what I've read, give it time, they will eventually die. As time has gone by, I am seeing less & less of them. I will not resort to chemicals unless desparate.

Get some wrasse:p

+1 on what Barry said. Get a Yellow Coris Wrasse. They're inexpensive, behave nicely, and pick at flatworms all day long. More so than a six line.

"+1 on what Barry said. Get a Yellow Coris Wrasse. They're inexpensive, behave nicely, and pick at flatworms all day long. More so than a six line."

You can't add the Yellow Coris wrasse in with the 6 line.

I do have a few prized inverts I'd rather not part with.. do you think that just lowering nitrates will really help?

Your inverts will be fine it is interceptor that kills inverts> I would get the flat worms now If you wait you will have more toxins as thay die off due to body count. Get set up for a big water change and run carbon and take your time dont skip any steps and you will do fine.:.

My old tank which I gave to my dad has a yellow coris wrasse and a 6 line wrasse together without problems. They don't pay any attention to each other. This is in a 75 gal with lots of rocks.

David

if you have a holding tank for corals etc.. i would transfer most of your things to there and use flatworm exit. thats what my buddy did... also kills off bristle worms he said

The problem with this method is there is a decent chance some FW's could be on the corals, when treating for flatworms you want the FWE to reach EVERYTHING in your system. If you remove something from the tank while treating and it does have a FW or two on it, you risk repopulating the tank upon reintroduction to your tank.

I used FWE on my 350g tank and did not lose anything other than flatworms...not my clams, not my cukes, none of my corals, not even a single snail. I had a massive infestation because I waited and waited hoping something would turn the tide. Not going to say that would happen to you; plenty of stories where just the opposite happened, but I don't think there is any "right" answer -- every situation is different.

If you do use it, follow the instructions and I'd bet you'd be fine.

Back