Getting frustrated with Equiptment failures!!!

sw300galma

Sgt. Tang Police
I take 1 step forward and 2 steps back it seams. I'm constantly having something fail. Of course having all these tanks just means more stuff to break.

I seam to have better luck with used items than new it seams...I know saltwater is really hard on equiptment, but it still doesn't make it any easier knowing that :p

Anyways I just wanted to vent....

You do have a lot!
300 Gal In Wall W/65Gal Over tank Fuge
180 FW Tank 14x12" Pacu
92 Gal Corner Bow
54 Gal Corner Bow (for sale)
46 Gal Corner Hex
20 Gal Mantis Tank
15 Gal

Richard said:
he down size :D
that's what I was going to say :D

I think there's really no way of avoiding it, I now just make sure I get good quality equipment. They cost more but in the long term it's actually cheaper. It's also good to have spare backup units for the critical equipment so it case of failure you don't stress yourself too much trying to get it fixed overnight.

Last edited:
buying quality equiptment up front I can say enough about. Compare Eheim to say via aqua or even rio hf's...

How often are you guys having pieces of equipment fail? What is failing?

In the past year I had:

- Ball Valves bought at Lowes don't work at all (flood). They are much cheaper than the ones at US Plastics but they don't fully close. I didn't buy it to save money, but because they are small and the only ones that would fit so I don't know how to fix this yet
- Sequence pump leaking, out of the box
- Defective T5 ballast
- Lose wire on new T5 fixture
- A few Intermatic digital timers stopped working
- AB CO2 regulator - needle valve unreliable, needs constant adjustment
- Few Mag Drive pumps failed
- 1 maxijet failed
- 1 Heater short-circuited and burned out releasing chemical in the water - tank crash
- A few air pumps failed
- A few quirks on the Aquatronica controller
- A thousand quirks on the Aquacontroller controller
- Burned out fuse on chiller a couple of times
- 2 Refractometers with rust on the little pins, causing the lid to get stuck all the time
- Plastic air diffusers that have no reliable adjustment whatsoever. Brass models are good but hard to find.
- Retractable garden hose (used for water changes and remote topoff refill) with bends restricting the flow to almost zero.
- 1 DE halide broken during removal from the socket. 1 DE halide broken during insertion in the socket.

I think that's it :D

Surprised at the Sequence. Armando is 100% right. The key is to buy quality stuff. We found out trying to go a bit cheaper to start with. It just doesn't pay off. You end up spending the $$$ on the good stuff eventually. We run an Iwaki 70 RLT for a circ. pump. I know it can be an electricity hog, but it is such a good pump. Clean it every 6 months, and it's good to go!

Armando, have you tried the SAVKO ball valves? They turn nice and easy, and work very well.

sw300galma said:
I take 1 step forward and 2 steps back it seams. I'm constantly having something fail. Of course having all these tanks just means more stuff to break.

I seam to have better luck with used items than new it seams...I know saltwater is really hard on equiptment, but it still doesn't make it any easier knowing that :p

Anyways I just wanted to vent....

I'm the king of gadget failure!!:(

IffersTankSlave said:
Surprised at the Sequence. Armando is 100% right. The key is to buy quality stuff. We found out trying to go a bit cheaper to start with. It just doesn't pay off. You end up spending the $$$ on the good stuff eventually. We run an Iwaki 70 RLT for a circ. pump. I know it can be an electricity hog, but it is such a good pump. Clean it every 6 months, and it's good to go!

Armando, have you tried the SAVKO ball valves? They turn nice and easy, and work very well.

My IWaki 70rlt was the last thing to go......:mad:

:confused:

sw300galma said:
My IWaki 70rlt was the last thing to go......:mad:

:confused:
Really? That sucks. Did you clean it at least a couple of times a year? I am surprised. I have heard many good things about them, and ours has been fantastic!

I only have a couple of tanks and they are all one system, about 180g total, but I haven't had many problems this past year.

-Blueline pump for skimmer froze up once (due to not cleaning enough, was fixed after a couple of hours of vinegar soaking)

-Maxima RO sys just wasn't working right (I got a TDS meter and found out how bad the output water was)

not really a failure but..
-getting an ORP controller turned out to be a bit pointless sort of (was going to use it to control O3, but it turns out the sys is at about 325-335 and very stable - I wouldn't end up adding enough O3 to make much difference in anything..... I think)

About iwaki pumps, I had a WMD40rlt for 7-8 years before it needed replacing, and then it was because of worn bearings (horrible noise) and not outright failure. Maybe SW300 had a defective one or something?

I also agree on the quality equipment first statement.

Do regular maintence and don't have more tanks than you have time to keep up with, that's my motto.

I guess if you have several/many systems to take care of, the problems will inevitably get overwhelming. I downsized and consilidated into a single system because I didn't have the time to deal with two. So far, after about a year, I can say that that was one of the best reefing decisions I've made.

jk

Back