gfo reactor questions

kkeller416

Non-member
so finally got a reading on phosphates. they were high, hence all my algae growing.. so started looking into brs gfo/carbon reactor. found they have a mini 5" reactor.
it's almost the same price as the full size reactor...
my thinking is its only a 40g tank.. and smaller would mean less media to use each time.
any thoughts? is bigger better or smaller cheaper just effective.
also brs has high capacity gfo vs regular..is it really worth the price difference?
thanks for your thoughts

If they're the same price, I would go with the regular size. You can always change the amount you put in with the sponges that are provided. If you decide to upgrade, you'll be glad to have the bigger size. Plus if you decide to sell it, I think most buyers would be more attracted towards the full size version.

I used to run GFO and carbon separately and purchased the high capacity since I changed the media less often. I now mix carbon and gfo and use the regular since I try to replace it weekly. I could change my ratio but I would like to think it helps in my wallet :).

I just ordered a couple reactors myself, I went with the smaller ones but ONLY because the regular sizes were out of stock. Actually, I wanted white housings to match my setup so that helped me settle for the smaller ones.

i read somewhere that high amount gfo can reduce alk.. so that was a thought of going small as well..however i don't really want to change a gfo carbon mix weekly..
maybe biweekly. preferably once a month....gosh im lazy

Back