Got Corals from Nate?

NateHanson

Non-member
Hi folks, I just got a pm today from a member who got a few frags and colonies from me in September when I broke down my tank. He's found Acro-eating Flat Worms on two colonies, and eggs on the Larry Jackson colony (the canary-species of the acropora genus). So, it's possible that the colonies were infected when they were in my tank. I don't think I acquired any new corals since May, when James Keary broke down his tank, but you may recall that some of his corals turned out to have flatworms according to a few other buyers. I never had recession or loss of color in the 5 months between getting his corals and selling mine, so I felt comfortable that I didn't have a problem, and I was comfortable selling to others, but perhaps these things take even longer than that to show symptoms. :)eek:)

So, if you got acropora from me, and your corals are funny colors, then perhaps I've passed them to you. If that's the case I'm really sorry. (of course with an apparent 6-month to a year dormancy, it may be pointless to try to figure out where a FW infestation originally came from. This is like an STD assembly at school, isn't it. 'Can you remember all the people you've traded with in the past year?'):(

Anyways, I hope I wasn't part of this emerging problem, but in the interest of full-disclosure, I thought I'd let people know that one person I sold to in September now has lots of AFWs on a colony he got from me.

Nate :(

I think we're probably at a stage of this pest-cycle where a large number of SPS keepers have them and don't know it. They're even harder to spot than red-mites. And they appear to live undetected for a long time before causing symptoms.

I got a few things from you...I can't say I have a problem yet...will have to look more tonight...

NateHanson said:
Lucky you! :p

What did you get from me? I didn't notice you on my sales list when I last checked.

A blueish staggy looking thing, and a greenish elkhorny looking thing, and some southdown, if I remember correctly.

Yeah Casey, check your tri-color in particular. It was a similar Larry Jackson acro colony that the other guy found eggs on. I think those tricolor and LJ acros are really prone to all these acro parasites.

will check over it tonight...that one in particular hasn't been doing well, i attributied it to other things but will have to check for eggs when I get home. the other corals dont seem affected.

hmm clear so far....who knows they could be laying dormant....not to worried....if it happens it happens....Right now I assume everyone I deal with is infected. And since I don't have any Levensole or whatever it is I stopped buying all frags....Anyone know where to get that dip?

There's a source listed at the top of the "Levimisole Group Order Thread" by Greg Hiller.

I'm relying on all of you to get this plauge figured out by the time I get back into the hobby. :D

hehe...my solution is switch to lps, cut back on my lighting and add more fish :)

Works for me anyway ! I really appreciate the heads up...even if I don't have them.

If I do have them, then you probably saved a few really nice peices I have. because right now that coral is isolated on the far right...I know they travel, but its the only one that looks not so great...that could be from other things though, like another coral falling on it....so im not 100%

Im going to do some turkey basting tonight and will let you know...lucklily I don't yet sell sps really so I don't think I have spread them.

Wow Nate... I'm not the ONLY one who gave ya the creepie crawlies eh? For what it's worth...you've had a crash course in "reefing 101" eh? Any parasites that we read about on the various boards that have NOT been passed along to you yet?

Dave

The thing to remember here is, you really can't see these worms with the naked eye while the colony is still in your tank. Visual inspection outside the tank is not good enough, unless you see eggs, those you can see. If you see eggs, it's way too late. If you see an acro that looks like crap for no obvious reason,(more specifically a milli or tri color/lj type, they seem to prefer these), that looks blotchy and has bad color with decent polyp extension, take the colony out and test it. Put it in a clear or dark colored container and blast it hard with a turkey baster. They should fly off fairly easily. Look for whitening at the base also. That's where the eggs will be if there are any. HTH.

JustDavidP said:
Wow Nate... I'm not the ONLY one who gave ya the creepie crawlies eh? For what it's worth...you've had a crash course in "reefing 101" eh? Any parasites that we read about on the various boards that have NOT been passed along to you yet?

Dave
Actually Dave, I don't think my experiences have been drastically different than other SPS keepers. I truly think that nearly every person keeping SPS has had or does have red bugs and Acro-eating FWs. I think my experiences might seem different because I've had the good fortune to have knowlegeable reefers help me quickly identify what I have, and/or I've been pretty public about my problems (hey, I like to complain :)).

How easy are the eggs to see? (despite my suddenly being possibly at the center of this thing, I've actually never seen the worms or eggs in person. Mark Reef55 found a worm on one of my frags while I was away in June, and tossed it, but since then I never found any worms in subsequent washings or inspections. And I don't think the infestation, if there was one, ever got advanced enough to produce visible clutches of eggs).

So I'm wondering if those of you who have seen them can describe how easy the eggs are to spot on a coral base? The pictures I saw made it look pretty obvious. Is that true?

Thanks, nate

Here are some of the pics I took of a coral (not mine) that was infested.

Attachments

• flatwormeggs.jpg
    flatwormeggs.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 243
  • flatwormeggs2.jpg
    flatwormeggs2.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 222
  • flatwormeggs3.jpg
    flatwormeggs3.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 212
Seems pretty obvious. Are those somewhat close to actual size? Like within a couple factors of magnification?

Back