GPH Flow

J-Bucci

Non-member
So it’s time for Overflow box decision, 600 gph or 800 gph on my 40 Breeder mixed reef, I have read hundreds say 10x gph. So 600gph should def be more than enough right? Sump should rated for up to 60gallon? Or should I get the next size that is 60/120 gallon. Which sounds like overkill.

What type of overflow and what size plumbing will it have?
1” pipe draining is good to only around 600gph max so keep that in mind when choosing pump/overflow combo

I have the eshopps s eclipse and hate it on my 40 breeder. I’m going to make a outside box for it someday to get it quiet.

What type of overflow and what size plumbing will it have?
1” pipe draining is good to only around 600gph max so keep that in mind when choosing pump/overflow combo
1” is Acceptable up to 800 gph Yes I hate the Eshopps. Leaning more towards the New Fiji Cube overflow. I know same idea but not much of a choice anymore. Glass holes is gone is so on and so on. Ugh!!

I have the eshopps s eclipse and hate it on my 40 breeder. I’m going to make a outside box for it someday to get it quiet.
Was also really considering this CPR Retrofit Def am NOT doing HangOn Back. Lol

Attachments

• 9EFEC9EC-7528-464E-BF71-30E58D337704.png
    9EFEC9EC-7528-464E-BF71-30E58D337704.png
    284 KB · Views: 136
I'd say always go for bigger for an overflow. Easier to dial it back than reach it's flow limit and not be able to increase it...

I wouldn't worry about a check valve on either. Just do the power loss check to make sure the sump doesn't overflow if you were ever to loose power. And you could put a gate valve on the return piping or an even easier way and IMO a better way would be to spend a little extra on a DC controllable return pump and be able to adjust the GPH that way...

As far as valves on the overflow depends on what kind of overflow you end up doing. If it's a herbie or a beanie you'd need valves to tune the extra overflow piping (these methods you can tune it and make it completely quiet)

Going to be running Sicce 3.0 prob def going with Gate valve on OF drain But wasn’t sure if I needed Gate in Return. Yes Herbie

I can't remember which design is which but I remember one of them requires some gate valves to be able to fine tune it to make it silent... And on that return pump a gate valve would be a good idea to be able to adjust if needed...

Ac pump that’s oversized I’d run a gate valve on it and overflow herbie and bean animal both use a gate valve to tune the water hight

I can't remember which design is which but I remember one of them requires some gate valves to be able to fine tune it to make it silent... And on that return pump a gate valve would be a good idea to be able to adjust if needed...
Yeah prob going Check V on Return & Gate V on Overflow. Makes sense to me (I guess) I am def Plumbing illiterate. Hahaha But trying to learn

Back to original post. Ugh! 600 or 800 is my dilemma. But I’m learning it’s not so cut and dry

I used to think the goal was around 5x the display tank volume... The 10x is what the Triton method suggests and it's generally thought to be a high rate... There's pros and cons to going lower or higher turnover rate but IMO I'd aim for closee to 5x unless you want to do the Triton method...

I used to think the goal was around 5x the display tank volume... The 10x is what the Triton method suggests and it's generally thought to be a high rate... There's pros and cons to going lower or higher turnover rate but IMO I'd aim for closee to 5x unless you want to do the Triton method...
Yes I think I’m going to set it up and see what looks right. I will have a Gyre for coral flow. So that’s not the issue. I would like to be around 5-8 I think is def enough for turnover. So I’m thinking 600 overflow should be plenty. And I’m going with the Fiji Cube 15 sump. Which looks Absolutely amazing

Back