growing SPS under Normal lights??????

dsiu25

Non-member
This guy used to grow his sps with just a normal fluorescent light....Is this even possible...????

"This page shows most of the Small Polyp Stony corals I have in my tank. All of the corals on the left side, except for two, have grown to the size shown under Normal Output (NO) fluorescent lighting."

http://www.garf.org/ScottCorals/scottSPS.html

I guess so. Did you see anywhere how many NO tubes he had over that tank? Maybe you could cram 10 NO lights under a canopy, and have it be equal to 5 HO lights? That would be a decent amount of light.

Interesting.

possibly even less with URI's nate.........the URI NO's use the same internal reflector that they're VHO uses.......No mention of tank size or depth however.......

Last edited:
I dunno. I can't grow SPS under MH and from what I read and the folks I talk to every day about the hobby I'm not alone.

lighting info

There was no link to this..so here

Until January 25, 2002, the lighting, in this tank, consisted of seven - 40 watt normal output (NO) bulbs. There were eight bulbs at one time but I discovered water and electricity don't mix well but that is a different story...

There are many different corals that can not only live under NO lighting but will thrive under it. I had many soft corals, small polyp stony (SPS) corals, and large polyp stony corals that were doing great. However there are many SPS corals, that I would like to have, that just require more light.

Recently, I was able to trade some captive raised corals (from this tank) for 2 VHO ballasts, 4 sets of end caps, and four 110 watt bulbs.

I have the VHO lights on their own timers and I have slowly increased the amount of time they are on each day so I didn't stress the corals. After almost a month, they are on the same amount as the NO lights were.

Currently (2/1/2002) the tank uses the following lights:
3 110 watt VHO Actinic White
1 110 watt VHO Actinic Blue
1 40 watt NO Actinic White
3 40 watt NO Actinic Blue
A fellow reefer, here in Boise, uses the same brand of VHOs that I do except he uses the AquaSun instead of the Actinic White. His tank is much brighter than mine, mainly due to the AquaSuns (and he uses 8 VHO vs. 4 VHO/4 NO). We have traded corals, during the last couple of weeks and now have at least twelve SPS corals that are the same. We are going to compare the corals over the next few months to see what difference the lighting makes. This might not be a fair comparison since he feeds differently than I do and he has almost 10 watts per gallon compared to my 4.8 watts. However, I know it will be something we will enjoy!

Who knows, in a couple of years I might change to Metal Halides. After all it is a hobby!
The Color Difference with VHOs!

The most noticable change, with the addition of the VHO lighting, was the color of an acropora GARF calls the "Paletta Blue". This coral, under NO lighting, had a redish brown body with light purple tips. With this coloring, it was one of my favorite corals in the tank.

After about 2 weeks of VHO lighting I noticed the color of the coral had drastically changed. The body of the coral was turning from a reddish brown to a deep green color. The tips of the coral was changing from a light purple to a dark purple. With this coloring, it IS my favorite coral in the tank.

The two pictures below show the changes in color. The picture on the left was taken 9/6/01. The picture on the right is of the same coral, mounted (after above mentioned tumbling problem) in a different location, and was taken on 2/11/02.

I dunno. I can't grow SPS under MH and from what I read and the folks I talk to every day about the hobby I'm not alone.

Bulb/ballast choice has alot to do with it........in the 150w-250w de growth department you can't go wrong with a Aqualine 10000 or UShio 10k and a PFO ballast. I prefer the aqualine for color....and get decent growth.....however bulbs are only part of the equasion....Phosphates hinder growth, calcium and alkalinity at correct levels the list goes on......

Bulb/ballast choice has alot to do with it........in the 150w-250w de growth department you can't go wrong with a Aqualine 10000 or UShio 10k and a PFO ballast. I prefer the aqualine for color....and get decent growth.....however bulbs are only part of the equasion....Phosphates hinder growth, calcium and alkalinity at correct levels the list goes on......

I know all of that. I had Aqualine 10k's but they're too white for my taste. After all it is about how the tank looks in the room right? ;) I now use the Blueline 14K's.

CA and KH are rock steady all the time because of the CA reactor. MG is also rock solid. Double Tunze 6100's certainly provide enough flow too.

My reef is so mixed that I think my small SPS's fall victim to chemical warfare IMO.

Have you ever run a phosphate reactor and or carbon? carbon helps clean the water and help with chemical warfare......

May want to bring a sample of water and have them test for lowrange phosphates, that can hinder growth also but 14k's even with 2x250 de's on a 65g tank didn't net me as much growth as i'm seeing now.

This time around I skipped on the 14k bulbs per jim's advice......I went somewhat oldschool with the 10k aqualine and 2 t-5 actinics...I'm starting to like the results...

Last edited:
Back