Has anyone ever experianced this before?

This seems a lil odd to me but just wondering if anyone ever seen anything like this.

Scenario: Adding a new fish to the tank.

I have a Coral Beauty Angel that likes to pick on whatever new fish i put in the tank and a Foxface Rabbitfish that protects the new fish from the Angel. It started with my Royal gramma, then my Lyretail Anthias, and now the Tang i just got.

The Angel will pick and harass them any chance it has but the Foxface will protect the new fish by putting its spines up towards the angel until it swims away. This happens for about 2-3 days and then everything is fine and everyone gets along.

Anyone ever see this behavior?

Last edited:
I have the exact opposite happen.My CB will get between new arrivals and established tank mates.

I have a crosshatch trigger that is doing the same thing to protect my desjardin tang. It is very cool behavior to watch

Yup,I added a very Hippo tang to my tank and for some reason my yellow tail damsel thought it was another damsel.Every time it would charge the Hippo the CB would get in between them.Now the tang is bigger than the damsel so this isn't an issue any more.lol

Yea the hippo tang I just put in Is very small also. If it wasnt for the black lines you'de think it was a yellow tail damsel. I wish they cost the same though haha.

Back