Has anyone heard about this? - Reefing in danger of becaming ilegal?!

higorc

Call me IGOR :)
I wonder how serious this is. If I understood this correctly, it sounds REALLY BAD if it goes through… :mad::confused:

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/04/03/reef-hobby-call-comments-esa-coral-listing/#ixzz2PX7cn0Bf

Hobbyinjeopardy_zpsd6952c5f.png

I just went to the link and put in my 2 cents just in case... It would be horrible if this proposed law wasn't amended some how to let us keep reefing...

Higor

"The proposed listing would make no distinction between “wild collected,” “maricultured” or “aquacultured” corals.

In other words, the proposed listing may very well prohibit and criminalize the transport and trade of all Acropora and Euphyllia species, (whether wild -collected, maricultured or captive-propagated, including those existing in hobbyists’ aquariums at the time the regulation goes into effect), included those traded at frag swaps or between individual hobbyists, but may also prohibit moving one of these corals from one tank to another, or even taking a colony out of an existing aquarium for treatment, ect., and replacing it in the same aquarium."

So basically if this passes, everyone who owns a reef tank will be a criminal. Also, you can't get rid of the corals because that will also be illegal...

Edit: I think it's funny that they punish the hobbyists that are keeping the rate of wild coral collection down, while not doing anything to oil companies or boaters who actually destroy miles of reef.

Last edited:
So someone called NOAA:[Looks like reef stores may just turn into Japanese gambling centers (no money exchanged)]
You can own any on the list,

You can continue to own them,

You can transport them across state lines but not for commercial purposes,

You can give or receive any specimens on the list for free but no money or services/goods can be exchanged. (IE frag swaps and giving frags to friends),

Most on the list are being classified as "threatened" not "endangered" which means there will be even more "exclusions and circumstances" that allow for ownership and the likes,

Other rights and privledges are available if you own the specimen prior to the new classifications.

It is in fact quite serious. Our December speaker, Dr. Andrew Rhyne, presented at length about this issue. It is unfortunate that people have taken this long to sit up and pay attention. Deadline to submit public comments is tomorrow.

If they are trying to save the Reefs, why would they try to punish the same people who are Aqua-culturing corals in order to take the load and demand of the Wild Reefs?! It doesn't make sense.

I don't think I would stop buying new corals and selling my frags. For crying out loud, I am literally in the process of upgrading my tank from a 72G to a 120G...already bought the tank, built my sump/fuge and am about to finish my canopy! Now you telling me I am going to have to have to buy and sell my corals ILEGALY?!

Pretty soon corals will be selling as much as Drugs do!

I am telling you man, if it gets really bad to trade and buy corals, expect to meet me in a dark parking lot behind a Dunkin Donuts and pay TOP $ for that frag of "Xenia and GSP" you want...

Never mind if I have to stash a nice "Chalice" or a "Gold Torch" under my seat and drive somewhere to make the "transaction". Then you will really be BROKE!!!

I always thought I would eventualy turn into a life of CRIME!!! Pretty soon I will be sharing a jail cell with a Cocaine and other Drug dealers...

;):):p:D

Higor

Last edited:
If they are trying to save the Reefs, why would they try to punish the same people who are Aqua-culturing corals in order to take the load and demand of the Wild Reefs?! It doesn't make sense.

I am telling you man, if it gets really bad to trade and buy corals, expect to meet me in a dark parking lot behind a Dunkin Donuts and pay TOP $ for that frag of "Xenia and GSP" you want...

Never mind if I have to stash a nice "Chalice" or a "Gold Torch" under my seat and drive somewhere to make the "transaction". Then you will really be BROKE!!!

I always thought I would eventualy turn into a life of CRIME!!! Pretty soon I will be sharing a jail cell with a Cocaine and other Drug dealers...

;):):p:D

Higor

this made me laugh cry and mad all at the same time ...could you believe having to hide a 1 inch frag lol under the seat like crackdealers

It is in fact quite serious. Our December speaker, Dr. Andrew Rhyne, presented at length about this issue. It is unfortunate that people have taken this long to sit up and pay attention. Deadline to submit public comments is tomorrow.

I got an email about this from AI last night. Hadn't heard anything about it until then... I believe these regulations were proposed a while back but they were submitted on April 3rd this year. Hopefully we get enough people to go to the link and speak their minds about it...

Higor

Last edited:
I don't want to get this thread all political....
but I sent a letter off to our senators and a few reps, as well as senators and reps in Hawaii, California, and Florida...
I will let you know about the responses (if I get any at all, haha).

So what kind of corals would be legal if the law passed?

Looks like they are going to "grandfather" the corals already in our tanks, so, stock up people, before it is too late. After the law pass, all you can buy are leather and zoas (I think).

Who's going to restock the coral reefs if something global happens?If we can't keep samples in our tank?
My recurring dream.

Back