Has anyone seen this before?

SeaCilla1212

Non-member
Ok so I have a blue dot red mushroom and I throw formula two pellets in the tank for the helmets and stuff and some of the pellets fell on top of the mushroom. Then the mushroom started to close up to put the pellets at its mouth I guess. Clearly he was just eating. I come back in like three hours later and he regurgitated all the pellets. They were in a mucus casing just sitting in a group together on top of his mouth just sitting on top of the mushroom. Is that normal? Like what happen?

I don't know these mushrooms well, but many coral will eat fish pellets, brine shrimp, or other foods that come into contact for feeding. My Ricordea Floridas love eating fish pellets (though it can take them 30 minutes from a pellet landing on them to getting it into their mouths). Other corals are happier eating zooplankton or phytoplankton captured from the water column or target fed.

If they eat too much or can't digest it, they'll often excrete some gross filament to get rid of it. Corals and anemones both.

The zooxanthellae within the corals live on light to produce energy, but other nutrients or food are important to provide what corals need to grow.

Last edited:
Back