Has anyone tried Miracle Mud (or similar)?

JeanR

BRS Member
Trying to figure out if this is good stuff or voodoo.

Some impressive people (Mike Paletta for example) seem convinced. But then again Dr. Oz peddles a lot of snake oil nonsense, so it's hard to know.

If you did use it, how did you use it, how quickly did you notice a difference and was there any downside.

Thanks!

I bought some Fiji mud as part of a package deal, same thing all the reviews touting the virtues, I ended up sucking it out of my sump in less than a month. I could not touch anything in my sump without making a silt storm that would last hours and coat everything in my DT. It was not mud but like silt you would find along a marsh and it was terrible.

Was there any benefit to my system not sure but if miracle mud is the same as Fiji Mud I would stay away.

I've had miracle mud for the past year now (100g mixed reef)... 15lb. They recommend more, but I do not have enough room in the sump for it.

You will have to be strategic with how you introduce the miracle mud into your tank, if you do not want a mess in your display. I used containers that would fit into the refugium section of my sump and soaked in tank water for a few hours. I then placed them in the sump with the lid on and slowly opened the lid. After letting the mud settle in the sump, I turned the return pump on. This reduced the cloudiness tremendously.

I have not seen any ill-effect on the tank, but I have not seen a noticeable difference either. No reduction in nitrates or coloration of corals so far, but I have always practiced good husbandry on my tank (or so I try). Also, you might see a bigger effect using more miracle mud than I have. As you said, there are trusted people in the industry that swear by it, but I'm just giving my personal experience with it (10+ years reefkeeping). Again, no negatives, but no huge positives either. Hope this helps.

Back