have you ever though about building your own t5 fixture?

orionduck

Non-member
have anyone in here ever though about DIY t5 fixture-- if so can we see some of the picture-- Thanks,. thinking of doing it myself.

they have lots of retro fit kits on reefgeek i think and other sites. they are dyi. i don't have one but i know they are out there.

I was looking at that site thanks to molsen187 but for 24" costing upward of $149 is way out of my budget-

Those retro kits are what you pay to get quality components in the first place. Not much to save by cutting corners there.

Personally I'm in the process of planning a DIY 6x39W fixture. I'm thinking I'll use a wood shell, slide in protective lense (to keep the blubs and reflectors clean), and exhaust fans in the top center with air inlets at either end. No pics yet though. I'm expecting to spend at least $500 :(

well from what I know,. I need to find out a ballast 1st. I will pst everybody if I can find a high quality ballast for low price. the socket they are fairly inexpensive,.. the high temperate wire you can get 1 color and that is good. The reflective I will also look., 93% from what I was reading you should get,. ----- I am planning on spending under $100 ..-- don't laugh if it is over $100 forget it.

I will call around at all the electrical supply house about the ballast or go to the Jatc to find a better solution to modify the t5 fixture with the current ballast that alot of strip light use.

Sorry just I don't want to spend sooo much money on equipment it is a hobby-- money doesn't grow on tree lol.

It's the "in thing to do" ;)

You can get some great deals on nice MH set ups these days :)

so basically T5 lighting is expensive.......................?

yup.

You can use t5's as actinics relatively cheap... but as far as all t5 lighting it does get expensive if you want it to be good....

Although it would probably be similar in price to a metal halide set-up that consisted of ballasts, bulbs, and high end reflectors. I priced out metal halides vs. t5's in my system... with 2x 250 watt galaxy ballasts, 2x lumenarc reflectors, and 2x 250 watt radiums it was about the same price as my ATI t5 fixture with bulbs.

you can run the wire 50' from the end cap themself maximum distance from ballast to bulb is 50' ....

You can find "workhorse" ballasts on line for cheap.

The performance of T5 set ups is very dependent on the specific bulbs and reflectors. If you save here, your likely to lose plenty on the actual output.

Figure basic math;
2 bulbs $40
2 Quality reflectors $45
Bulb clips
Ballast @ $30
End caps
Wires
Power cord

Last edited by a moderator:
for $500 for 1 light system ---- I mean I don't know how much but that is way way over-- I have to call around the electrical supply house to do price check on ballast - -- from the ballast that will solve alot of the issue.

You can find "workhorse" ballasts on line for cheap.

The performance of T5 set ups is very dependent on the specific bulbs and reflectors. If you save here, your likely to lose plenty on the actual output.

Figure basic math;
2 bulbs $40
2 Quality reflectors $45
Bulb clips
Ballast
End caps
Wires
Power cord

The manufactor -- they won't tell you the exact spec on the ballast output, if u look at the diagram it will tell how to wire the ballast. amp, volt, resistance are all the same ... ohm's law --

it is true about reflective and it is true about bulb..... the output on all the ballast are pretty much the same, depending, volt amp, resistance.

a workhorse/slyvania ballast, endcaps, reflectors, fans, and bulbs prolly- 225.00 for a 4 bulb retro

but if you go Icecap youre prolly talking 350 plus bulbs and fans

and to be honest Id rather have 6 bulbs than overdriven 4

I know you are trying to keep price as low as possible, but ask anyone here do it right the first time. If you dont you just end up spending more in the long run. Also remember these lights are going to be around water and spills most definately do happen, make sure you get waterproof end caps and that your wiring is safe.

if the manufactor of the ballast Cater to our hobby they wouldn't be profiting that much... all ballast have 3 factor , amp, volt, resistance unless I am missing something---

I wired a retro for my dads 90 softy tank and I think it cost under 200 for 4x54w t5 with bulbs. I dont know who said 500 but I think thats a tad over kill, theres no need to overdrive the bulbs on a 660 unless you really want to.

I'm saying $500 for;
3 - 2x39W retro kits $450
3 - super quiet computer fans $45
acrylic or glass lens $10
Wood I have it laying around from other projects
Misc hardware $10-20

The retro kits are the killer here. The bummer is that you just can't get the quality components cheap because they are in high demand now. T5s are good because of their effiency, skimp on anything and you lose that fast... Pretty soon it's just a straightened out PC ;)

the end cap,, yes they have to be water proof. the wiring is going to out of sight, it will going to be in 3/4 emt tubing..

still high

I'm saying $500 for;
3 - 2x39W retro kits $450 ------- this one is tooo expensive ...
3 - super quiet computer fans $45 ---- you can go to grainger to purchase--
acrylic or glass lens $10
Wood I have it laying around from other projects
Misc hardware $10-20

The retro kits are the killer here. The bummer is that you just can't get the quality components cheap because they are in high demand now. T5s are good because of their effiency, skimp on anything and you lose that fast... Pretty soon it's just a straightened out PC ;)

it is still tooo high

Back