HELP ich problem

pelado182001

Non-member
hi guys please help me what is the best treatment for a ich help me i have some fish infected in my tank so i dont khow what to do bye

i put garlic extream in my fish food and fed it to them till the ick was gone and i feed it every so often just to help them keep it away

Copper is proven treatment for ich. Set up a quarantine tank with some live rocks and water from your tank. Add heater, HOB filter and Ammonia monitor. Transfer the fish and treat it according to the instruction. Also monitor water parameter and prepare to do water change.

Don't re-use any equipments and live rocks once the treatment is done. Copper is toxic to coral and inverts.

You want to do it ASAP and it is probably not a bad idea to treat all the fish if you can catch them.

Last edited:
Don't kill your live rock If you put it in a copper bath it will be junk. if you are going to use a quarantine tank it is best to treat all fish.And the best way to rid the display tank of ich is to remove all fish and leave the tank fish less for at least 8 weeks.Or you can quarantine all your live rock and corals,inverts etc.and treat the display tank with hypo salinity.And a tank that has had copper in it can really never be used for housing corals and inverts as the copper will be in the silicone seals and keep leaching out.Putting live rock in a quarantine tank will also make it hard to keep the level of treatment in the right parameters as the rock will absorb the copper medication

Last edited:
With tangs, try increasing the oxygen in the water column. Add an airstone to your tank and see if that helps take some stress off. Depending on the stage of the problem, removing the fish into an unestablished system may speed up the problem. Ich is present because the fish is stressed--so there is something he needs that he isn't getting or conditions have changed too rapidly.

it really depends on how bad the ick is.... tangs get ick a lot, even from temperature swings.....

feeding more with garlic additives might help, also if the ick was caused by aggression you need to remove the agresser.

it will def depend on your set up and how easily or stressful it would be to remove the ick infested fish...as the saying goes, sometimes the treatment is worse than the....If the fish is healthy, feeding garlic in food does help the fish fight off the disease. I have found that cleaner wrasses and cleaner shrimp does help the infected fish...tho others have debated this. Most people not being careful with copper end up poisoning their fish with copper. Most angels and other sensitive fish don't do well with copper treatments. If you choose the QT method, I would do hyposalinity before copper.

Remove all fish from DT. Run QT tank at hypo or do copper.

Wait 8 weeks minimum for returning fish to DT. Some have said you can cut the life cycle of ich in half by running UV while tank is fallow and can be ich free in 4-6 weeks.

Read up on the life cycle of ich and you will understand why it is important to leave your tank fallow.

Remove all fish from DT. Run QT tank at hypo or do copper.

Wait 8 weeks minimum for returning fish to DT.

Read up on the life cycle of ich and you will understand why it is important to leave your tank fallow.
+1

Treat all fish with hypo or don't treat any at all. If you don't treat all the fish and leave the tank fallow to kill off the parasite then it will reappear once you re-introduce the fish.

My tang came down with a major case of ick when I did some rock work in the tank. I was moving rocks around and cause a pretty good sandstorm and he was not happy. The next day he was covered in ick, not a small case, but a full blown case.

I have a 178 gallon tank and there was no way I was going to catch him and was not even going to try. I figured that I had him for over a year with no problems, so the ick parasite must have been in the tank all that time. What did I do? I made sure all the parameters were right, soaked all the food in garlic and waited.... A couple weeks later later there was no sign of ick anywhere.

I think ick is like the common cold, it is always out there and if you are run down, you will catch it. But if you are healthy and eating well, you probably won't. Personally, I think tearing a tank apart, setting up a QT tank and waiting eight weeks before rebuilding your tank, is a bit like spending a week in ICU for a common cold. It will certainly cause the ick to go away, but so wouldn't resting and eating well. And the next time you add a fish or a piece of coral without a full eight week quarantine you could very well be adding ick back to your tank.

Is there still ich in my tank? I am sure there is, but I have not seen a spot in well over a year.

I think ick is like the common cold, it is always out there and if you are run down, you will catch it. But if you are healthy and eating well, you probably won't. Personally, I think tearing a tank apart, setting up a QT tank and waiting eight weeks before rebuilding your tank, is a bit like spending a week in ICU for a common cold. It will certainly cause the ick to go away, but so wouldn't resting and eating well. And the next time you add a fish or a piece of coral without a full eight week quarantine you could very well be adding ick back to your tank.

Is there still ich in my tank? I am sure there is, but I have not seen a spot in well over a year.
That is always the debate and I agree with you. I do not quarantine every new addition for eights weeks and treat all incoming fish with hypo for that time so I assume my tank has ich. I just do as you said and keep parameters in check and make sure fish are well fed and have no issues.

Back