Help on starting tank again.

Buy new LR and LS

• Total voters

Ttran102

BRS Member
So what happen is I just bought a new house so I broke down all my tanks. Been working on the house so don't have time to set up a new tank. I still have all the equipments and LR and LS. Problem is I let them sit in some buckets and let it sit dry for about 3 months already. Can I still used them or should I just buy new LR and LS for my new built? My new built will be cadlight cube 50g. Let me know what's your thoughts on it. And what's the best way to cure them and make them live again when I'm ready?

The sand just rinse really good and can be use again just need to cycle your tank again to get live bacteria living in there . You can seed your tank with someone else live sand to start your new bacteria population!
I don't know the condition of your rocks but i seem a lot of people just wash and reuse and also see a lot of bleaching , and cooking in a acid bath to get the rocks like new again .
I had use bleach on old rocks but never have done the acid bath . I hope you don't need to do any of the above.
But i know some of the reefers with more experience whit rocks will chime in !
Also nice that you getting back !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you have the time bleach the rock in fresh water ( rodi) change the water weekly or more depending on smell and color. Test for phosphate at a month and if it's at 0 or your satisfied with the results use some chlorine and chloramine remover to get the bleach. Let the rocks dry out or start cycling again
If you do a search there's got to be a bunch of posts about it

Depends on how much time you have to wait. For the rocks, you can spray it down and give it a nice scrub. Then you can start putting it in a bin with saltwater and put a pump in it. Wait a week or two and test the phosphate level.
This is the route I would prefer. Getting LR from LFS is expensive. Getting LR from other members without doing the same process as above might bring you some unwanted pests later on.
Again, this hobby is mostly about time. The more time you got for it, the better. Usually.

Back