Help with 40 breeder sump build/which overflow

MPevine11

my own mini ocean
So decided to build a sump/refugium out a 20 gallon I have. Need help planning it out and what skimmer to run. How many baffles, spacing And what material to use for them.

Also as for overflow, I like the ones that go all the up the back, not just the boxes, can you get those anywhere? Or should I just get a glass holes box? (Also what size)

Any help, pictures of your 20 gallon sump/refugium and info would be great.

Thank you
-mike

try to use glass for baffles, acrylic expands a little in the water and if fit too tight might crack the glass.

the baffles are mainly bubble traps to keep microbubbles out of the pump and display a good ball of cheato traps some too . a baffle could also be used to keep water around the skimmer longer so it has time to do its job . plan your baffles around the skimmers optimal water level .

For baffles it's best to use glass in glass, or acrylic in acrylic. That said, I have done many glass sumps with acrylic baffles. The concern with acrylic baffles in a glass tank is that the acrylic will actually absorb some water and swell, so they will crack a glass tank if fitted too tightly. The other issue is that silicone won't bond very well with acrylic, but for internal application like baffles or overflow boxes IME the bond is plenty adequate as long as you use a good adhesive silicone (vs simple sealant grade silicone). Again, IME you can never build an acrylic tank or other water holding vessel using silicone to hold it together, but for baffles or overflow boxes adhesive silicone is just fine.

As for the design of the sump, opinions will vary. If you want a refugim and a skimmer, and want to cram everything into a 20G it will be tight.

Skimmer selection, IME over the years I have come to believe that correctly sizing is better than oversizing. IME oversized skimmers often have trouble keeping a steady foam head and tend to not work as well as a smaller skimmer in terms of steady performance. You are talking about @ 60Gal of water so the volume is not that much so it can be difficult to find a good skimmer that small. Personally I have about 60 gals and I'm running a RLSS I6 and it seems to be well matched. There are endless other options, but that's what I'm happy with.

For the overflow box, Shoot me a PM. I can build whatever you want for cost of materials plus a 6 pack of good beer :)

Adding since others replied while I was typing, and I forgot to mention;

If you run a conventional drain system then baffles are necessary. If you have the option of running a restricted siphon with back up drain ("herbie" or "Bean"), then baffles are much less crucial and in many cases totally unnecessary, or at least much less important.

John k what would be the best drain? (Most efficient and quiet?) maybe a page that shows how to build it?

Thank you for all the help.

I'm thinking first chamber drain and skimmer, then refugium, then return. Is this how they usually are? Anything else I should add?

Back